'63 Avanti Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '63 Avanti Grill

Recently purchased front grill from Stud Int. Although it is nice, it looks nothing like the grills I have seen in photos of originals. The original looks like it has a flat metal frame around it, where the repros are round rimmed frame?

Originals are round also

1988 "Beater" Avanti---R5388 @ Macungie 2006

Comment

The originals are half-round with the flat to the back. Also the vertical wires should be painted black.

Comment

I also purchased a '63 grille from SI. IMHO, it is a very poor reproduction. The frame wire should be a "half-round", as noted. The reproductions use a round frame wire.

More importantly, the original had the horizontal wires welded behind the frame wire. The new grilles have the horizontal wires in front of the frame wire. The vertical wires were also formed incorrectly, and it took a lot of rework to make the grille fit.

Given the cost of the reproduction grilles, I think that the SI catalog should carry an explanation that the grill is very different from the original. I would not recommend it!

Jim Bradley
        Lewistown PA
        '78 Avanti II
        Jim Bradley
        Lake Monticello, VA
        '78 Avanti II
        sigpic

Comment

Item # 220559672481 original grill on ebay now with a $120.00 buy it now

1988 "Beater" Avanti---R5388 @ Macungie 2006

Comment

I have seen a lot of Avantis at S.B.&Lancaster dont rember any with black paint on
            the vertical grill bars.Was this starting with a certian serial number?

Lenny
            Atlanta Ga.

Comment

The stone guards are stainless steel. It's difficult to get any kind of paint or other coating to stick to stainless for any length of time...it can be done but it's an expensive process. I doubt if Studebaker would have gone to that extreme, especially considering their financial status at the time. Once the paint wore off, most likely left it that way or never knew the difference after the years passed.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Rerun

I also purchased a '63 grille from SI. IMHO, it is a very poor reproduction. The frame wire should be a "half-round", as noted. The reproductions use a round frame wire.

More importantly, the original had the horizontal wires welded behind the frame wire. The new grilles have the horizontal wires in front of the frame wire.
                The seller included a loose grill with my recent Avanti purchase. My car was built before the grill was introduced, so I haven't decided if I want to actually put it on the car.

Mine has round wires, but the horizontal wires fasten Behind the larger frame wire.

Maybe there were earlier reproductions and/or originals differed over time?

Mine has been installed on SOME Avanti in the past, and has not been modified to do so. Also, there is some solder flash on two of the lower mount eyes. Did the factory "stake" the grill to the lower mounting screws with solder?

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote: Did the factory "stake" the grill to the lower mounting screws with solder?
                  The wire grid is resistance welded together, not soldered. What you are seeing is flash from the welds.

quote:Mine has round wires, but the horizontal wires fasten Behind the larger frame wire.
                  My guess is that you have an earlier (and better) reproduction. My original '78 Avanti grille has the "half-round" frame wire, so it appears that they were still using that configuration long after '64. The "half-round" frame wire would be a very special item that would probably been unavailable to someone making the reproductions. I can see where they would have substituted a full round wire. Yours is, at least, assembled with the frame wire in front. What I got from SI has the frame wire behind. Wrong!

Jim Bradley
                  Lewistown PA
                  '78 Avanti II
                  Jim Bradley
                  Lake Monticello, VA
                  '78 Avanti II
                  sigpic

Comment

My grill did show signs of black paint on the vertical bars, is half round frame wire, cross and vertical bars welded behind the frame and had remnants of studs, soldered/welded, in the lower eyes. It came with my car but was removed when I got it.

I ran the car for years without the grill until something came up and blasted a big hole in my radiator.

I thought about painting the verticals again but it just didn't seem worth the effort since you either look at an Avanti grille from 10 feet away or bent over.

And no wisecracks about how I should get under there and clean once in awhile.[:I]

ErnieR

Comment

If anyone feels the desire to paint the verticals black, then brush on a coat of vinyl wash before topcoating with black paint. This guarantees good adhesion to the SS wire.

Comment

Bummer. I missed the one on Ebay. Yeah, I'm really frustrated by this SI reproduction since the frame is backwards. If anyone has a better one they want to sell me please contact me. Thanks!

Comment

I've got the original that came on my car. But two of the hooks are missing. My guess is it would not be easy to weld replacements to stainless steel either.

quote:Originally posted by Jaybot

Bummer. I missed the one on Ebay. Yeah, I'm really frustrated by this SI reproduction since the frame is backwards. If anyone has a better one they want to sell me please contact me. Thanks!
                          edp/NC
                          '63 Avanti
                          '66 Commander
                          edp/NC
                          \'63 Avanti
                          \'66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jaybot

Can you bend the hooks and install it backwards?

nate

--
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                            --
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Can you bend the hooks and install it backwards?

nate
                              I thought about that, too. However, installing it backwards would then leave the vertical wires in front of the horizontal wires. Not good.

I found a solution, though. I bought a used '63 grille at York that I am going to polish up and install.

Anybody want to buy a nice, almost new, S.I. reproduction grille for half price?

Jim Bradley
                              Lewistown PA
                              '78 Avanti II
                              Jim Bradley
                              Lake Monticello, VA
                              '78 Avanti II
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X