Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Kick down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kick down

For my 61 Lark 6 cyl, auto transmission, I seem to have two problems,1. problems getting the car to kick down or idel at a regular speed. and 2, acceleration seems to lack response/power at times.. Timing etc are ok, Te carb is clean, etc. Are there adjustments I am missing? Thanks Dave

David G. Nittler
    David G. Nittler

Are these new problems with a car you've owned for some time, or problems with a car you have just purchased?

If the later...

The car will stay on fast idle longer in the winter than in the summer. Give it time to warm up.

If you've given it time, either the choke is out of adjustment, the idle speed (and most likely mixture) is out of adjustment, or the carb linkage is missing parts or otherwise screwed up. Your service manual is your friend .

It's pretty normal for a 6 cyl Lark with an automatic to lack power .

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Te car only started doing tis a couple of weeks ago. I've owned the car 16 years. The acceleration is a hesitation and lack of power, which developed when the above developed. Thanks for the help. Dave

David G. Nittler
      David G. Nittler

Comment

You say the carb is clean. But do you know if the choke works as it ought to?

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

How do you set the choke?

David G. Nittler
          David G. Nittler

Comment

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that maybe there's a different issue here... you haven't broken an engine mount recently have you? Worth a look before you start messing up all your adjustments. If one is broken maybe a replacement will bring everything back to where it's supposed to be.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

2-15-07 Th eengine mounts are new, I put a missing spring on the linkage that helped, and I believe a carb kit with a new accelorator pump may help. Does anybody know where to get a good complete fresh kit?

David G. Nittler
              David G. Nittler

Comment

Working...
              X