Pitfalls to look for...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitfalls to look for...?

I am replacing my 57 flathead in my Champion with one from a Lark. Ordered a used flywheel from Bill Cathcart to replace the one on the Lark engine. All other parts seem to be the same except for the carb. The 57 carb base is different from the Lark base. Can I just swap them?

The difference is that the 57 has two indentations, that is the best way to describe it, on the bottom of the base the Lark does not. The bolt holes line up and the linkages are the same. I've installed new plugs, new water pump and I am assuming the distributors are the same. I will have to swap in my 57 starter. New clutch and throwout bearing will be installed, unit is ready.

I will then take my original 25,000 mile engine apart to see why it knocks like hell. Did I miss anything? Any other suggestions?
    Thanks, FlatheadGeo.

1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Taking that original engine apart should be enlightening!
    After 52 years, acid in the oil may have etched away most of the rod bearings, especially if it had a lot of down time, which seems pretty likely with only 25,000 miles! [:0]

Can't you just put the Intake manifold that matches the Carb. on the new engine?

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

StudeRich,

Yup, I guess I can switch intake manifolds, as long as I don't break any bolts! Never thought of that! Gee, old age creeping up!

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

My bigest concern with that would be that you're going from a 185 with 101hp to a 170 with 90hp, or about a 10% drop in hp...not sure how much torque that is. May not seem like a lot, but the Champ is a fairly big car. I would just take the 185 apart and have it rebuilt. I would guess you probably have a bit of piston slap at the top of the bore... .030 over should take care of that. Then again it could be rod or main bearings.

Awe heck! Just have fun with the 170 till it gives out...maybe by then the 185 will be ready to go back in!

Comment

ozarkman,

Are you reading my mind?!

Comment

I could never go back to a 170. I would wait for the 185 to fix it. Even if I had to ride my bike which is just about as fast.LOL

Mabel 1949 Champion
            Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
            Gus 1958 Transtar
            The Prez 1955 President State
            Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
            Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
            Fresno,Ca
            Mabel 1949 Champion
            Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
            Gus 1958 Transtar
            The Prez 1955 President State
            Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
            Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
            Fresno,Ca

Comment

Anne,

You 'speed demon'!!!!!

Comment

I never could figure out why they went back to the 170 when most everyone else was either using OHV or headed there, no pun intended.

George, good luck with the transplant and autopsy on your 185!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tomnoller

I never could figure out why they went back to the 170 when most everyone else was either using OHV or headed there, no pun intended.
                  I believe that the thinking was that they were going to a smaller, lighter car and that the performance would be about the same and economy would be better. In 1958-1959, most people didn't drive like they do now and of course the V8 was available for those that wanted more performance.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                  X