Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

57 Golden Hawk Air Cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Golden Hawk Air Cleaner

I started cleaning up the air cleaner and noticed the bottom lid was dented in the middle (see pic) about a 2" circle. Is this what it's supposed to look like, or did the previous owner smash in the dome to fit the wrong air cleaner element?

Also, the main body doesn't look like it comes apart- any ideas for dealing with surface rust in the inaccessible areas?

Gallivan
    57 Golden Hawk
    Golden, CO
    Gallivan
    57 Golden Hawk
    Golden, CO

If that is the oil resevoir (bottom) bowl of an oil bath air cleaner, it is supposed to be domed, not flat. All the '57-'58 Golden Hawks I have ever seen, had dry type air cleaners.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

it is the dry type-

i'm thinking it was domed, but got knocked in to fit a wider element

Gallivan

Gallivan
      57 Golden Hawk
      Golden, CO

Comment

Since the end of the support bracket that that would sit on is flat, that indenting really wouldn't afford that much of a gain in hood clearance. Now if they'd taken a grinder to the end of that bracket, I could see it fitting into that indentation better.

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
        X