The day Stella quit running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The day Stella quit running

If you were running down the interstate at 80 MPH in a 140,000 mile 259 Stude and all of a sudden it farts and quits running, what do you think would be the problem?
    That's what happened to OcrappyOne (wife unit) a few years ago.

More pix of Stella, the '55 Pres HT here...
    http://rides.webshots.com/slideshow/575618162lVvyvN

Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Yah!! Mine does the same thing, just doesn't quit running.

Oops! You were talking about the car. Nice vehicle by the way.

What is the origin of the air cleaner, looks nice.

Bob

Comment

quote:What is the origin of the air cleaner, looks nice.
      A discontinued MrGasket item.

Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Yessir, That's one SHARP car!! But that name always makes me think of Marlon Brando on a dirty street in New Orleans Yelling "STEEELLLAAA!!! NT

Neil Thornton
        Hazlehurst, GA
        '57 Silver Hawk
        '56 Sky Hawk
        '51 2R16 dump truck
        Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

That exact same thing happened to me in 1985. I had just bought (for a song) my '60 Lark and was driving it north on I-85. I was about 50 miles from home when it just died. Having owned a few GM products, I immediately knew the fiber timing gear had given up the ghost. The engine behaved just like a couple of engines with timing chains that had failed in my past. I walked (before I had a cell phone) about a half mile to a gas station. In one of those "you must be living right" moments there was an empty roll back fueling up at the pumps. The guy with the roll back was heading from Virginia to Atlanta to pick up a load. I told him what had happened to me and he offered to pick up my car and take me home. It was about 10 miles out of his way off the interstate and he refused to take more than 20 dollars. Great guy. I overhauled the Lark engine and put over 40,000 miles on it as my business car. It now rests deep in the "man cave." Some day, I might dust it off and play some more.

John Clary
          Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
          SDC member since 1975
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Jerry.. Everyone knows those engines are obsolete.. Put a Chevy in there for cryin' out loud!

And paint the chrome.. Right?

Comment

In my humble experience, this usually happens due to excessive crank, or cam thrust. Might check that.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chucks Stude

In my humble experience, this usually happens due to excessive crank, or cam thrust. Might check that.
                In my case...I think 12psi max oil pressure had something to do with it. I was just surprised that the timing gear failed instead of a rod bearing.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chucks Stude

You don't think the 140,000 miles had anything to do with it?

Jerry Forrester
                  Forrester's Chrome
                  Douglasville, Georgia
                  Jerry Forrester
                  Forrester's Chrome
                  Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

I agree with John, I had a Lark with low oil pressure and the timing gear failed the same way.

Jeff DeWitt
                    http://carolinastudes.net
                    Jeff DeWitt
                    http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Time for Stella to get her groove back?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"
                      --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I got a '61 Lark convertible real cheap one time because the seller described it as "just died as I pulled in to the driveway". Same thing- stripped timing gear- easy fix on a six.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                        X