Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Missing Hawk Body Mounting Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Hawk Body Mounting Parts

Working on rusty panels on my -63 Hawk, I found the body mounting just behind the door is missing something. The bracket on the chassis rail is there, there's a reinforcing plate under the floor panel, but there is nothing between the 2, just an air gap.
    Does anybody have a photo / picture of what is supposed to sit in the air gap? (There's a bolt and some shims in the chassis bracket, but no connection whatsoever with the body).
    Thanks in advance /H

I assume you're missing the rubber pad. It's just a piece of reinforced rubber, like the sidewall of a tire. Studebaker International has them in 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2 inch for $2 each, or you could cut some from an old tire. When you tighten the bolt you may find you will need to adjust the fit of the door and the striker plate.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

No, the "shims" are there, on the bolt in the chassis bracket. The problem is that there is a gap between the body and the bolt & shims. The plate on the underside of the floor, is nice and thick but is >1 inch above the chassis bracket.
      Is the bolt supposed to be attached to the floor with a nut under the chassis bracket, or is there a "top-hat" section coming down from the floor to meet the chassis bracket, or .............
      /H

Comment

Are the rocker boxes rusted out ? You should have a boxed section that runs from the bottom of the outer rocker flange, over a few inches, then up to the floor.

64 Commander 2 dr.
        64 Daytona HT
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
        63 Avanti R1
        63 Daytona convert
        63 Lark 2 door
        63 Lark 2 door #2
        62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
        62 Lark 2 door
        62 GT Hawk 4 speed
        60 Lark HT
        60 Hawk
        59 3E truck
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

There are two body mounts (on each side) behind the door. One immediately behind the door, and one toward the front of the wheel well opening.

Here are all 4 on my '63 Hawk.

Right side nearest rear of door.

Right side nearest front of wheel well.

Left side nearest rear of door.

Left side nearest front of wheel well.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Dick,

On my '53 I only have one 1/4" rubber at each mount. Maybe the Hawks are different
            My '54 Starliner only has 1 or 2 per mount also. The body has never been off it.

This Hawk had a body off restoration in '80. I'm not sure if all/most of the later Hawks had this many or just this car. It seems to sit correctly, however.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick,

On my '53 I only have one 1/4" rubber at each mount. Maybe the Hawks are different, with the hog troughs. On my car that would amount to a lift kit.

Good photos; should answer Hank's question.

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              33 Rockne 10
              51 commander Starlight
              53 Commander Starlight
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

There's another under-belly shot in this ebay listing:
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQ...83879585QQrdZ1

Dwain G.

Comment

Dick, thanks for the photo's. Exactly what I was looking for.
                  /H

Comment

Working...
                  X