Repairing a conv top frame? Pics Added

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing a conv top frame? Pics Added

The pin that fixes the hydraulic arm to the scissor frame has popped out on my '63. Looks like this pin was pressed in. Any ideas on how to repair the scissor frame?

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
    Oakville, Ontario.
    Hamilton Chapter

1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Can post a couple of pics for reference on clearance issues and such? TNX

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
    In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
    If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JGK 940

Can post a couple of pics for reference on clearance issues and such? TNX

Yes, we can get to the bottom of this with a picture. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Don't know without a pic, but 55-57 T-Bird vendors sell a replacement rivet kit for conv. tops so one can disassemble(drill out) the entire top frame (that has all pressed in hinge rivets) and when re assembled use these and can't tell the difference. Just something you may want to check into.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
        Remember, "When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done."

Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

quote:KGlowacky Posted - 02/11/2010 : 09:38:30 AM Don't know without a pic, but 55-57 T-Bird vendors sell a replacement rivet kit for conv. tops so one can disassemble(drill out) the entire top frame (that has all pressed in hinge rivets) and when re assembled use these and can't tell the difference. Just something you may want to check into.

You're on the right track. I need the main replacement rivet on the scissor portion of the convertible top. I've been searching for Thunderbird vendors and convertible top websites that may have that replacement rivet without success.

Do you have any idea which vendor has the replacement rivet?

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
          Oakville, Ontario.
          Hamilton Chapter

1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

If you haven't called Convertible Service in San Gabriel (greater Los Angeles), give them a try toll free at (800) 333-1140. I would be VERY surprised if they didn't have exactly what you're looking for in a box on a shelf three rows back from the front door and a tech who can walk you through the whole installation process on the phone. They've helped me out multiple times with everything from spring-loaded Corvairs to full-Goldberg scissors-style on a '72 Olds and the T-Bird and 4-door-Continental guys in SoCal swear by 'em.

http://store.convertibleparts.com/frandfrco.html

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto

Comment

Keoni is right about CS; they're a good operation. But if you think T-birds can help, so can Lincolns. The best Lincoln place is Baker's. They have and do ANYTHING for Lincolns. I've done quite a bit of business with them for my Lincolns. The owner, Steve Ouelette, is a very helpful guy and is always willing to talk to you if needed. Might be worth a try.

http://www.bakersauto.com/panda.html

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
              Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Try Larry's T-birds. I bought some a year ago.

Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

Here are the pictures of the rivet that need to be repaired on the convertible frame.

This is where the problem with the rivet has backed out of the frame

Side view

Arm off

I'll have to go over to my girlfriend house and measure that hole in the frame to get the right replacement rivet.

I sure hope these recommended vendors can help me out. I try to give them a call tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
                  Oakville, Ontario.
                  Hamilton Chapter

1964 GT Hawk
                  PSMCDR 2014
                  PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me

Here are the pictures of the rivet that need to be repaired on the convertible frame.
                    PERFECT! Many thanks. Just as I suspected: anyone who's ever loved a droptop can tell you these suckers are just about the first thing to go after the cloth. Piece-o-cake. Any vendor mentioned here will have exactly what you need, and call it a "piston pushrod hingepin" IIRC. Shipping will probably cost you more than the part.

Edit - Corrected after consultation with my trusty 1959-1964 Studebaker Body Parts Catalog - what you're looking for is officially two parts: a "PIN, rear side rail clevis," P/N 1336786, (2 ea per vehicle); and a "BUSHING, rear side rail pin," P/N 1336792, (4 ea per vehicle). Still one piece-o-cake.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto

Comment

Hey thanks for the picture. My manuals are still in a box somewhere from my recent move.

The cylinder ram attaches to the chrome arm that is pictured. The pin that i need must be on the next page of the manual.

Is there a picture of the arm that attaches to the cylinder and the convertible frame? That's where the said pin will be.

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
                      Oakville, Ontario.
                      Hamilton Chapter

1964 GT Hawk
                      PSMCDR 2014
                      PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JGK 940

quote:
                        Is there a picture of the arm that attaches to the cylinder and the convertible frame? That's where the said pin will be.
                        That's the end I've highlighted, buddy... though I can see it could be hard to tell from these snippets 'cause the piston shaft is not shown extended. This exploded view shows all parts in physical relationship to each other roughly as they would be installed in the body: the cylinder end of each top lift piston is "down," where it would mount to the body. The "rear side rail" referred to in the part descriptions is P/N 1336750 (right) or 1336751 (left) "RAIL w/HINGE, rear."

It's unfortunate the manual does not show this connection explicitly, but those pins go in these holes to attach the ram shafts to the rail and lever it up or down:

(edit: improved graphic)

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
                        Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto

Comment

Thanks for posting the picture Keoni

My mistake the cylinder does not hook up to the chrome arm. I need illustration numbers 2169-97 and 2169-99 from the book

Part numbers 1336794 Rivet, to center rail, shoulder
                          1336791 Bushing, link rivet nylon
                          1463X33 Washer, spring 3/8"

I found my Body Parts Catalog in one of my many boxes. I getting on the phone to California right now.

Thanks

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
                          Oakville, Ontario.
                          Hamilton Chapter

1964 GT Hawk
                          PSMCDR 2014
                          PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Well it is always easier said than done. I phoned CS and they don't do rivets and know no one who does. If the car was at their shop they would just build one but they don't do one offs for phone callers. He suggest have a new one machined locally....

Phoned Larrys T-birds and he has a kit of Six that little birds used but has NO idea what the size is. He does not have a micrometer and will not be getting one, but has the kit is $32 for 6 pins of unknown size. Like that is going to do me any good.

Hopefully we can come up with at fix here on the forum.

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
                            Oakville, Ontario.
                            Hamilton Chapter

1964 GT Hawk
                            PSMCDR 2014
                            PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Whoa - my bad: I misread your pics. Bummer. Being a CAFSO I'd come from the outside in with a round-headed carriage bolt, some nylon bushings, a couple of slip washers and a lock nut if it would clear the rear side rail in the fully-extended position, with top up, closed and locked. Other than that, I'm out of options and don't have an example to hand to dink with.

So I'll BUMP the thread and add my voice to yours:

HELP...? PLS/TNX

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto

Comment

Working...
                              X