Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leyrret
    replied
    My mistake. I assumed 44. The 44 & 27 use same flange axle per parts manual.

Leave a comment:

• BRUCESTUDE
    replied
    The splines on the flanged axles are the same as the tapered-both are model 27s. I guess I can clean and pack the bearings w/o taking them off. I will have to get the drum hubs pressed off, tho. I'll have to get a '65 manual I guess for the finer points of the flanged ones.

Leave a comment:

• leyrret
    replied
    If your attempting to replace tapered axles with later factory flange axles, they are splined different and require a carrier change. Otherwise requires after market axles. The seal is different and kind of pricey from vendors who have them. I never located a contemporary comparable to the original in size. The retaining ring for the bearing also appears to be kind of rare.

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    Why replace the tapered axles when you can get a pair of flanged axles that are easier to service afterwards? Otherwise, if you keep the tapered axles the bearings can be packed without pressing them off the same method as you would pack the front bearings by hand. Remember to put all the shims on the right rear back between the axle housing & the brake backing plate.

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan

Leave a comment:

• okc63avanti
    replied
    To change the bearings on an original Studebaker axle you need to go to a machine shop that has a press. The old ones are pressed off and the new ones are pressed on.

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification

Leave a comment:

• BRUCESTUDE
    started a topic Flanged axle disassembly question

Flanged axle disassembly question

I just got a pair of flanged axles for my '64 Daytona, including the bearings and seals. I don't have a '65 manual, so how do I get the bearings off to clean and pack them?[?] Is the inner axle seal the same??
    Since I'm doing a major rebuild of the front end, I might as well pull the rear drums, check the brakes, and replace the tapered axles....$$$
    Thanks for any help!!
Working...
X