Armrest riddle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armrest riddle!

OK guys...what Studebaker armrest measures 5 3/4 inches from mounting hole to mounting hole, has a molded plastic bottom and a seperate fabric covered top (two pieces in all)? It's a plain design,
    just an elongated U with no fancy ridges or anything. Sorry, I don't have a picture.

A buddy has a 1960 Piper Commanche light plane, and I already discovered that the door handle and elevator trim handle (actually a door handle) are the same as a Lark/GT Hawk, as in identical! I gifted him an extra pair I had in my parts depot, and he is delighted. But the door armrest is badly broken - I measured my GTs
    and early/late model Larks, and they aren't it. One of the Commanche guys thought it was a Studebaker part as well, but I'm at a loss here as to what model. Not much to go on, but if the description rings a bell, it would be helpful. I'm sure it's an automotive part from somebody. Russ Farris

1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
    1964 Avanti R-1 Auto
    1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
    1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

I'm at work and can't measure mine but It sounds like the ones out of a 52 Commander.

I remember looking at them several times thinking,
    they must be uncomfortable and all but useless due to how small they are.

Dean.

Comment

Thanks Dean, I appreciate you checking it out for me. Russ Farris

1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
      1964 Avanti R-1 Auto
      1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
      1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

My 55 Commander has the arm rest with the plastic molded bottom and the padded top. I like that type since the bottom can be painted any color you want and the top pad is easy to reupholster. When I did my 62 GT I used that older type arm rest for the above reason. The bolt pattern is exactly the same and they are interchangable on the cars. That older type is much easier to redo and make look nice than to latter type with everything molded and almost impossable to recover with new material.

Comment

There is some evidence that the armrest comes from a 1949-63 Transtar truck. Can anyone measure 5 3/4 inches between the mounting holes? Russ Farris

1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
          1964 Avanti R-1 Auto
          1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
          1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Working...
          X