Stuck clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck clutch

I'm looking to buy a 63' Cruiser with a stuck clutch. The assumption is the car was registered and driven up til its hibernation for 10 years and now runs and drives OK, and stops..but no shifting. The present owner is no stranger to old cars, and as a mechanic is leery that the pressure plate is simply stuck to the flywheel. He suggests that maybe the throw out bearing is stuck on the input shaft. Any suggestions as to how to diagnose this clutch correctly ??? I will be going to see (buy) the car in the next week or 2....I'm thinking if the T-O bearing is stuck, shouldn't the pedal be stuck too ? What else to look for...?

I'm confused, how does it drive & stop without the clutch disengaging? Jack up the rear end and put jack stands under both sides, then start the car in gear and then rev up the engine and then push the clutch pedal in while also applying the brakes. This should break it loose.

SnowLark
    In the middle of Minnestudea
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Once had a apparently stuck clutch on a ford where one of those small coil springs arrayed around the clutch disk had fallen out and jammed in the fingers. Pressing the clutch pedal things didn't feel normal. This happened suddenly while driving. The problem was not visible until the trans was pulled and clutch removed from the flywheel.

On something that's been sitting for a while, more likely its rusted/stuck rather than broken/stuck unless you know for sure it was stuck already when parked. Don't know about stuck TO bearings but I had a mustang once where the disk stuck to the flywheel after the car sat for a few days in damp weather. Got it loose but it tended to chatter afterwards.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jackb

I'm looking to buy a 63' Cruiser with a stuck clutch. The assumption is the car was registered and driven up til its hibernation for 10 years and now runs and drives OK, and stops..but no shifting. The present owner is no stranger to old cars, and as a mechanic is leery that the pressure plate is simply stuck to the flywheel. He suggests that maybe the throw out bearing is stuck on the input shaft. Any suggestions as to how to diagnose this clutch correctly ??? I will be going to see (buy) the car in the next week or 2....I'm thinking if the T-O bearing is stuck, shouldn't the pedal be stuck too ? What else to look for...?
        Pressure plate stuck to the flywheel is very common for a car that has been sitting around a few years. Put the rear wheels on jack stands, start the car and run it up in high gear with the clutch depressed, hit the brakes. That's always worked for me.
        Oops! I was writing this when Milaca posted the same thing. At least great minds think alike.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I guess when the OD is engaged , and you use RPM's all works...I've done that before with a 6 w/OD...not as a habit...

Comment

My preferred method: Get some clear road ahead of you, start the car in first gear with the pedal on the floor and head down the road. Goose the gas a few times until you hear the "pop" and you're good to go.

JDP/Maryland
            JDP Maryland

Comment

I relayed this story here once before, but I jacked up one rear wheel on a 1950 Crosley sedan and started it in gear, stuck my left foot out the door and pushed myself (and the car) off the jack and down the driveway I went. By the time I got to the end of the long driveway, the clutch broke loose and then it began to slip. Got the clutch rebuilt and all was good.

SnowLark
              In the middle of Minnestudea
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

yet another possibility is the infamous z-bar spline slipped... you'd feel that as lots of play in the clutch pedal though. If it feels normal underfoot I would suspect the disc is stuck. If the bearing is stuck then you won't be able to move the pedal hardly at all.

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The methods listed all have worked, but be careful before starting,
                  to be sure the pedal will depress and return. If this don't happen
                  it may be more than a "stuck" clutch. It may be as he says, a seized
                  TOB. However if the car was running and working when parked, I don't
                  believe this would be the case. Like you said, the pedal would be stuck.
                  If the TOB is locked up it will squeal when you try to depress the clutch.
                  If it squeals,STOP, and don't try to free it up without looking into.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Nate...what's a Z-bar spline..and how does it slip ?

Comment

Don't know nutt'in bout no "Z" bar, but whether or not Nate is talking about the clutch cross shaft that is "broached" onto the release lever (the one from the frame to the clutch housing) they are a very common problem with Studebaker clutches NOT releasing, when the lever breaks from or slips on the shaft! [xx(]

Probably not the case here. [^]

StudeRich
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

OK..talked with the present owner...seems he is 2nd owner since the car was driven last, ~ 1997.
                        When he got the car , in trade for Z28 and 56' Ford and others...he found the car with the starter out and the bellhousing inspection plate removed, and clutch linkages disconnected....mmmm...someone else looked into it. He replaced the starter, easily got the car started, and found the shifting problem(s). So, assuming some advanced shade-tree mechanic knowledge, I'm guessing its not a disc/plate. What does that tell you....? Not having a late model Stude with V8 clutch needs, I assume the linkages, including the throw-out shaft (fork),and all the other parts are readily available....??

Comment

Working...
                        X