shocks - 63 gt hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shocks - 63 gt hawk

I recall someone reporting that 1960's Buick shocks will fit a 63 GT Hawk. I removed the existing shocks, one set bears number 85741-77820 and the other is 84178-579 and are a pale yellow, but can not tell manufacturer. Can anyone help?

Try Auto Zone --- Gabriel Classic Shocks for Studebaker. Got mine there.
    Gabriel 82087 for front. Rear Gabriel 82103 IIRC.
    ....Dick

1950 Champion Starlight
    1963 Hawk GT
    Santa Barbara
    CA

The 1950 Champion Starlight
    Santa Barbara
    CA

Comment

Bilsteins are yellow, but I dont think they have ever made a shock for
      a Studebaker, certainly not in recent times. Can you post a picture?

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I recently bought a set of Monroe HD truck shocks for my '59 pickup. They're yellow.

Matthew Burnette
        Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Starlight Stainless
        912-253-3037

Comment

Front shocks are the same as a '63-'65 Buick Riviera.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

...much like the delrin/rubber bushing discussion: are the original fluid shocks a better ride than the gas ??

Comment

"Ride quality" is a personal thing. You like a Corvette or Cadillac?

Tom
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

My preferences are somewhere between Porsche and Lotus. Does that help?

Seriously, I don't remember ever riding in a car with "hydraulic" shocks still installed. I guess my dad's old Cutlass probably had them, but it also had bias ply tires, and I think I was ten when it finally got put out to pasture. Can you still buy them anywhere? I'm certain that at least the Gabriel and Bilstein shocks currently available are gas pressurized.

My understanding was that the major difference between "gas" and "hydraulic" shocks was just some high pressure nitrogen in there to keep the oil from foaming under fast cycling conditions (bumpy roads or "assertive" driving) so other than a *slightly* stiffer ride due to the slightly increased spring rate there shouldn't be a perceptible difference. I'd suspect that the valving between different brands of shocks would make a more dramatic difference; e.g. a Bilstein or Koni would tend to have stiffer valving being more enthusiast oriented brands, while Gabriel, Monroe, etc. might not (but then again, I may be mistaken - it's not like I've ever conducted a back to back shock test.)

If you can find shocks with speed sensitive damping and/or progressive rate damping (e.g. little bypass grooves that close up when the shock piston travels too far away from its rest position) that will provide a plusher ride with a very minor tradeoff in handling. They'll also be more expensive however I have the numbers listed on my web site but have not looked at each mfgr's web site to find out what product line the specified numbers are for, features of same, etc. (generally there's only one shock from each mfgr. that will directly fit a Studebaker anyway, unless you're including Chevy-chassis Avanti IIs in that group)

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I have first hand experience with my '95 Impala SS clone, and both the
                  Gabriel VST shocks and Bilstein Sport. The Gabriel shocks were very
                  bouncy and allowed the car to hit the rebound bumpers often. It didnt
                  handle dips well and made my wife seasick. The Bilstein shocks were
                  night and day to the Gabriels, not stiffer or harsh, just much more
                  control of the car. Floaty isnt always better on your back and neck.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                  X