electrical mixup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical mixup

I messed up - not realizing my M5 '47 pickup was positive ground, I installed a new battery (6 volt) backwards. After discovering the mistake, I re-installed it right. It starts, but no lights. What did I mess up, and what has to be replaced? Any info apreciated. -Diver

I believe that your problem is in the light circuit wiring or the switch itself. The lighting circuit doesn't care about battery polarity. Reversing the battery won't cause the problem that you describe. Bud

Comment

Does your charging system work now, and did it work before?
      Is this a running, driving truck, or a project? Was yout lights
      working before the swap? Bud is probably right, as far as damage
      to your lighting. You may need a test light wih a probe and run
      down where da juice stops

Tex E. Grier

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bud

I believe that your problem is in the light circuit wiring or the switch itself. The lighting circuit doesn't care about battery polarity. Reversing the battery won't cause the problem that you describe. Bud

Comment

Thanks, guys - I'll check thru the light circuit. I've only had the truck a few months, and I know the lights were working when I bought it. It is a driver - I was at a cruise nite when I realized I had no headlights for the ride home! I think the generator or regulator may be bad, as the ammeter never shows any charge. I'm considering getting an alternator for it. Opinions? -Diver

Comment

Did you polarize the generator after you corrected the battery connections? It won't work if it hasn't been polarized.

Joe
            sigpic

1962 Daytona
            1964 Cruiser
            And a few others

Comment

quote:Originally posted by irish

Did you polarize the generator after you corrected the battery connections? It won't work if it hasn't been polarized.

Joe

Comment

Please explain how to polarize. -Diver

Comment

To polarize the generator, simply make a short jumper wire to short between the battery (b or bat) and generator (g or gen) terminal on the voltage regulator (just DON'T jumper to the field 'F' terminal). Only a split-second or a spark is required, so simply attach (hold) a jumper wire onto one terminal and then simply tap the other terminal. That's basically it, any car with a generator has to be polarized, but you only have to do it if the battery, generator, regulator etc have been disconnected for awhile. It's simple. By the way, the only real advantage an alternator has over a generator is a better charge at idle speed. Here's a link for you, http://www.texaspowerwagon.com/polarize.htm and if you search 'polarizing a generator' online you'll find lots of info. Hope this helps,

Joe
                  sigpic

1962 Daytona
                  1964 Cruiser
                  And a few others

Comment

Working...
                  X