Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    57 SH (project)

V-8's need a Dana 44, a 27 is not strong enough for a V-8. I tore one up in a Hawk, and it was not even modified. Just a stock engine.

Comment

you need to know your driving habits....27's were used in many V8 Larks...I don't know if they were optioned for any Hawks V8's or 6's...I doubt it. Studebaker had as good an engineering dept
      as any, not to mention Dana's dept.. Stude did not meet other competing requirements from the Big 3, but for liability reasons, Dana R/A's and Stude drivetrains were well designed...maybe because they really didn't change much in 20+ years....I'd suggest this simple question: do you feel the need for upgrades in brakes, suspension or other in your Hawk ?? If not, it's unlikely your driving habits warrant a 44 R/A.....however...if there's a cheap one with the correct perches and you don't mind adjusting your driveshaft length...go for it...

Comment

Dana 27's (and 23's) were used in some V-8 Hawks, If the Hawk had a 289 it came with the Dana 44 (the 44 was a HD option for the smaller engines) The Dana 23 and 27 has been used by several makes with V-8 engines.
        sigpic

1962 Daytona
        1964 Cruiser
        And a few others

Comment

The 27s have always been good to us here with V8s !

Joseph R. Zeiger
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 63t-cab

The 27s have always been good to us here with V8s!Joseph R. Zeiger
            Sure, as long as they were all 259's, 224's or 232's! [:0]

All '51-'54 232's even came with 44's, until they figured out they could save a buck!

The torque (305 Ft. Lbs.) of a moderately driven 289 will destroy one in short order, much sooner if it is driven spiritedly, but as Jack said, if you drive with a feather on the gas, no problem! [^]

StudeRich
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rusty nut garage

Were all hawks dana 44 or did some come with a 27series
              Instead of giving you an answer to a question that you didn't ask, (like almost everyone else has) I will ask you a question.
              Why do you want to know?[}]

Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Yeah amusing sometimes where these questions can lead to.
                I was stuck at work and chasing a RA assembly on craigslist. I was hoping for a 44 the craigslist ad didn't elaborate but the sellers email indicated that it was from a v8 hawk. I wasn't aware of hawks having the 27 series. Who knows hawk lark they'll all swap so after 40+ years who knows. I'll check in person today.
                Thanks for not answering the question
                quote:Originally posted by Jerry Forrester

quote:Originally posted by rusty nut garage

Were all hawks dana 44 or did some come with a 27series
                Instead of giving you an answer to a question that you didn't ask, (like almost everyone else has) I will ask you a question.
                Why do you want to know?[}]

Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                57 SH (project)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                57 SH (project)

Comment

Rich,hate to tell you this but a 289 has nothing to do with it!guns do'nt have to be a problem either,it's the person holding it!

Joseph R. Zeiger
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Well, do all hawks come with 44? I once had a 59 Lark v8 with a 27. It worked fine until I pulled it into reverse going 50 mph. Dan-----Poop Head.

Comment

I had a '62 Hawk w/ a dana 27 - it also was an automatic. Do not have it any more, therefore not much to add. Although it did have a receipt for a replacement R & P (at about 35k miles).
                      The 44 is known for being quite rugged - It is still used in some 4 X 4's, but w/ different splined axels. If you need to convert a 44 to "TwinTraction" (positraction) the parts for the conversion are still available from Stude'suppliers or from Auburn.
                      Paul K

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Paul Keller

I had a '62 Hawk w/ a dana 27
                        And I had a '55 Pres. HT with a Dana 27, 4.27 gears.
                        Of course it didn't come from the factory with that rear end. I put it in there so I could drive the car while I was building my S-10 4.56 rear end. Ask N8 (he drove it) what kinda noise the 44 rear end was making when I bought the car from JDP (not JDP's fault, we all knew it needed a new rear). You could hear that rear end howl from a half mile away.

Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia
                        Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 63t-cab

Rich,hate to tell you this but a 289 has nothing to do with it!guns do'nt have to be a problem either,it's the person holding it!
                          ACTUALLY; they do, since all 289's came with a 44 Axle! [:0]
                          The 259's did NOT!

StudeRich
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

NEWS FLASH Rich,259s did come with 44s.plus the fact that you're missing my point!!! you can have a 289 mated with a 27 rear and survive,ask me how I KNOW this.

Joseph R. Zeiger
                            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

all '59 Hawks {V8, 259s only available} came with 27s. That poor one-legged 3:07 lasted 5 years behind the 289 afb flighto before it's demise. Cheryl's got a heavy foot, too. Still got over 20 mpg acrossthe desert. But no, even if they shoulda, not all Hawks came with 44s KP

Ken Pyle

Comment

Working...
                              X