A-arm bushings, which type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A-arm bushings, which type?

I have the front end of my '64 Daytona apart, and ready to order bushings. I noticed that some vendors sell the plastic-type, and others have the OEM rubber. What are the benefits, if any, of one over the other?
    BTW, I can't believe how much crap builds up on those a-arms!!!I think I'll take 'em to my local machine shop for cleaning...[B)]

Delrin will outlast the rubber 5 to 1. Rubber will offer you just a little ride difference in the way that the delrin wil not flex one iota. I prefer the delrin. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

After you clean them look for cracks. I prefer the UHMW Plastic for bushings, a little softer than Delrin but stiffer than urethane, with a better natural lubricity than either of the others.

Comment

On that last post Alen said something about UHMW or urethane. I didn.t think anyone had urethane bushings for studebakers and what are UHMW?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55coupe
          what are UHMW?
          Ultra High Molecular Weight.

Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

There are many who say that the Delrin bushing transmit more road vibration and bumps through suspension to the car and to the steering wheel. My car is being rebuilt and I'm going back with rubber OEM bushings.

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
            sigpic
            John
            63R-2386
            Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Precisely. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

When I brought my 55 commander coupe back to life after sleeping for some 18 yrs, it recived new springs and derlin bushings.At the time this seemed to be the hot setup.Now this was the first Studebaker I had driven in many years so I had nothing to compair the ride to. It does seem like the ride can be harsh on the car but new springs too.At this time I'm considering oem bushings on the lowers to see if that makes any differance.I would have liked to use urathane but didn't think that was an option is it?I've read the opion of some of you on the forum about oem and derlin does a mix make any sence are there any other real options? The car does have around 11000 miles sence hitting the road again. As uasual the information from the members of this site is very much appreciated.

Comment

I would leave the Delrins in if I were you. Stock rubber is trash. There were 2 things that bothered me about the Delrins but have not proven true. One is the hardness, I thought that they might crack easier since they are hard and light. Second is you have to keep greasing them and most people do not do their own greasing and when they do take their car to some place like Jiffy Lube they don't even look in that area for a grease fitting and don't have the proper silicone grease for it.

Comment

The Avanti R-3 suspension, is the same as on my 52 Commander. there are bronze bushings, no rubber ones. the ride is not hard at all. I plan on replacing the front end bushings in my 63 Avanti with the derlin ones. I used them in a 62 Daytona convertible that I once had.

Jim
                    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                    their Memorials!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Alan

After you clean them look for cracks. I prefer the UHMW Plastic for bushings, a little softer than Delrin but stiffer than urethane, with a better natural lubricity than either of the others.
                      If you are going to "turn" some out of UHMW Alan, let us know when we can buy them. []
                      That sounds like a good alternative to too hard or too soft. [^]

StudeRich
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Anyone that uses OEM rubber is nuts. Back in 1981 I did my 65 with OEM rubber and the 54. I have two sets of delrin sitting it the shop waiting for me to get a clear space. The car will be much more nimble with delrin then the rubber and it wont have to be done again in your lifetime.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                        64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                        61 V8 Tcab
                        61 Tcab 20R powered
                        55 Commander Wagon
                        54 Champion Wagon
                        46 Gibson Model A
                        50 JD MC

65 2dr sedan
                        64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                        61 V8 Tcab
                        63 Tcab 20R powered
                        55 Commander Wagon
                        54 Champion Wagon
                        46 Gibson Model A
                        50 JD MC
                        45 Agricat
                        67 Triumph T100
                        66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

....are you saying you've been driving on OEM bushings for 28 years ?

Comment

YES Jack 28 years is all that they lasted.

65 2dr sedan
                            64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                            61 V8 Tcab
                            61 Tcab 20R powered
                            55 Commander Wagon
                            54 Champion Wagon
                            46 Gibson Model A
                            50 JD MC

65 2dr sedan
                            64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                            61 V8 Tcab
                            63 Tcab 20R powered
                            55 Commander Wagon
                            54 Champion Wagon
                            46 Gibson Model A
                            50 JD MC
                            45 Agricat
                            67 Triumph T100
                            66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

28 years is probably 18 years longer then the OEM was designed to last. So, I'd say you got over on them. I have repaired the mounts and frame sections on and around the cross member for cracks on several cars with the delrin bushings. I attribute these repairs to the added rigidity and reduced flexibility these bushings cause. The first one, a 57 Golden Hawk, had only had them installed for about 5 years. The owner told me that there had been no cracks prior to the last rebuild. I got similar stories from the other owners as well. Seems to me that the light weight frames our cars have don't tolerate these things to well. Of course, these were all 53 to 60 hawk and sedan. I haven't seen any later models equipped with these, yet?

Bo

Comment

Working...
                              X