64 Hawk dash/instrument panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Hawk dash/instrument panel

I'd like to restore the dash, especially around the glove box, of my recently acquired '64 Gran Turismo Hawk. It has a wood grain applique appearance. Any suggestions on how I can restore it to its original look? Where can I find photos of what it should look like? Any help would be appreciated.

Wayne

quote:Originally posted by mccarey

I'd like to restore the dash, especially around the glove box, of my recently acquired '64 Gran Turismo Hawk. It has a wood grain applique appearance. Any suggestions on how I can restore it to its original look? Where can I find photos of what it should look like? Any help would be appreciated.

Wayne
    I buy the wood grain vinyl from JC Whitney ( WOOD GRAIN CUSTOMIZING KIT Product Number: 16573G), here it is on one of my old 64's

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Here's a pic of my 1963 dash that I rejuvenated last summer. I applied red oak vinyl which I purchased from a vendor on Ebay. It is very different from stock appearance as the original was black walnut (I think thats what it was) and the vinyl I used has a very realistic woodgrain texture to it. The vendor also had other types of wood to choose from.

SnowLark
      In the middle of Minnestudea
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Here's a pic of my 1963 dash that I rejuvenated last summer. I applied red oak vinyl which I purchased from a vendor on Ebay. It is very different from stock appearance as the original was black walnut (I think thats what it was) and the vinyl I used has a very realistic woodgrain texture to it. The vendor also had other types of wood to choose from.

SnowLark
        At $30.00 a roll, the JC Whitney stuff is pretty close to stock, and cheap. I never even lost points at a show for it. N8 is a artist at applying it too.

JDP/Maryland
        JDP Maryland

Comment

The gauge panel is easy, just apply the vinyl *then* trim to fit with a single edge razor blade. The glovebox door requires some artistry to get a neat edge around the lock hole trim, and I've never been 100% satisfied with one of those, but then again, nobody's ever said anything about them either.

JDP is right, with the fake woodgrain vinyl, from farther away than a foot, if you do it right, you'll never notice that it's not original. The gauge panel can withstand even closer scrutiny than that.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Thanks all for replying so soon and with good suggestions and photos, too. I'm new at this but will give the J.C. Whitney kit a try.

Wayne

Comment

if you're going to do it yourself, rule #1 is cleanliness. Any dirt or grit on the panel to which you're applying the vinyl will show as a bubble that you can't pop and press down. Maybe tape some wax paper to your work space right before you start, and after your final wipedown of the panel run a tack rag over it. Don't peel the backing off the vinyl until you're ready to apply it. Some people like to float it on some Windex to help position it, but I wouldn't bother with the gauge panel, only the other ones.

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Correction, my vinyl is called 'Antique Oak'. I purchased it through Ebay from www.Rvinyl.com for $20.77 for an 18 inch wide by three foot long roll. I followed the directions printed on the back and I used a sharp utility knife and a body filler squeegee for applying. They also have walnut and others available. This product is sold in 12 inch increments.
                I just checked and it costs less to purchase it through Ebay than through Rvinyl's store.

SnowLark
                sigpic

Comment

If you want it better than factory send it to an artist.
                  I was faced with this problem years ago and wanted something better than the factory look.I happened to read an article on this artist chap in the local paper.
                  I gave him my intrument panel and he gave it back looking like a piece of wood. I was amazing. If you what a picture I can get one this weekend.
                  Sounds like it would be more expensive than the other options already provided but it just looks so much better.
                  As an aside, when I walked through the blokes house I noticed an odd shaped wurlitzer jukebox in the corner.On the way out I went and looked at it and to my surprise he had painted an old fridge to look like a jukebox.Amazing.
                  Anyway another option for you to ponder and it wasn't that expensive.

Comment

I did my 64 Hawk dash and door panels in a real exotic wood from Africa called Macassar Ebony. It's not stock looking but IMHO it looks fantastic. With the work involved building templates to router the material and laminating the wood to a stable surface, hindsight tells me I should have gone with the $30 roll from JC Whitney or the Ebay vendor. They look alot more stock than mine.

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
                    Oakville, Ontario.
                    Hamilton Chapter

1964 GT Hawk
                    PSMCDR 2014
                    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                    PSMCDR 2013
                    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me
                      With the work involved building templates to router the material and laminating the wood to a stable surface, hindsight tells me I should have gone with the $30 roll from JC Whitney or the Ebay vendor.

No you shouldn't have!

[]

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

nothing wrong with "better than stock."

Jim Kranak (jimmijim8) used to sell wood overlays for those looking for that look, not sure if he is doing that again or not.

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

If anyone is looking for a NOS glove box panel, this one is currently for sale on Ebay.

SnowLark
                          sigpic

Comment

The GT Hawks had to be one of the last cars to use painted wood grain on metal. There are very few cars out there with a good looking original dash that isn't faded or discolored. I've seen lots of attempts to 'improve' on the original with vinyl sticky stuff and wood veneer but only recently has anyone, that I know of, tried to restore the original appearance using the original technique. Contact Terry at: m547man@yahoo.com

Tim K.
                            '64 R2 GT Hawk
                            Tim K.
                            \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Hey Tim,

Have you a picture of his work? I would prefer a stock look in my car. Do you have any idea what that work would cost?

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
                              Oakville, Ontario.
                              Hamilton Chapter

1964 GT Hawk
                              PSMCDR 2014
                              Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                              PSMCDR 2013
                              Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment