Factory paint question '60 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory paint question '60 Hawk

Well, "Hawk Baby" was trailered over to "Hot Rod Daves" for the engine rebuild as it was really frozen after sitting around for 17 years. Once the engine was out, and it came out really easy, I noticed something I hadn't seen before in the cowling paint. It looked almost like a signature or "tag" in the original paint. It was kind of hard to makeout but looked sort of like "Sarge". Was it common in the paint shop for the painter to identify himself? Anyone else noticed a faint signature mark? It was on the drivers side. This is the original paint and my mother was the original of the car.

All in all for 142,000 miles the engine and drive train looks in pretty good shape.

It could be the Color name, what color is the car?

Sandalwood Beige maybe?

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

What was the body code name for a 1960 Hawk?

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I'm thinkin' the same as Gary L. Studebaker assigned several code words to distinquish the body style, engine, and trans. They were used as a double-check when placing a car order, and in telegram messages.
        I have heard of these code words showing up on the firewalls, but I don't think it was done very often. I don't have a list of the words used for 1960 models, but they might have used a word like 'sarge' or 'surge' maybe?

AL SORAN RACING

Comment

Thanks folks! Good ideas and leads. The color is black. Does someone in "Studebaker Land" have a list of the code words for the 1960 Hawk? The mystery continues. Studebaker John from Albany, Oregon is supposed to talk to Hot Rod Dave on his thoughts on my rebuild. I know we just had Christmas but finally getting Hawk Baby running has me as excited as waiting for Christmas! The more people I tell about the rebuild the more mention that their families always drove Studebakers.

Comment

If you get a copy of the production order the code word may be on there.

AL SORAN RACING

Comment

Working...
            X