Motor rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor rebuild

Since I've been doing a little work to my car some of my friends have been coming over to check it out and help a little(very little).One of my friends says that I should start thinking about rebuilding the motor,ohv 170,from where the car just sat for yrs at my uncle's house,but he says that it will be a pain because those old motors have to have somethings rebabbited.I was just wondering if that is true and what exactly is babbiting in the first place?

Some (most) motors from the 30's and prior had babbited main and rod bearings. Your motor has regular insert bearings just like any modern motor. They are readily available in standard and most oversizes if your crank needs to be reground.

Tell your buddy to pound salt [:0]

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

The OHV 6 does not need babbet bearings. That was poured onto the bearing shell and scraped by hand to size. That went out in the late 30's or early 40's.

Comment

When I was an apprentice in the early '70's we had to replace the bearings in a huge reciprocating ammonia compressor. It was really interesting pouring and boring the news ones, then I got the job of blueing and scrapping the mains and big ends - took me a week to get it done. I wasn't so interested in it after that But I was darn good at by the end of the week.

Matt
        Brisbane
        Australia
        Matt
        Brisbane
        Australia
        sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Working...
        X