backing plate issue-fixable? pictures included

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backing plate issue-fixable? pictures included

I took the left rear drum off the car as I was hearing a clunk/metallic clang when I shifted from reverse to drive and also could hear the brakes returning a few seconds after I took my foot off the brake pedal. This is what I discovered tonight note the deep grooves from brake shoes.. How (or can) this be fixed?

Also, what would have caused this to prevent it in the future.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Dare to be different... Drive your Studebaker!!

Don't know the cause but, I suspect it could be weak return springs. New springs are available.
    The grooves can be built up with very minor welding and then ground flat.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Within the past 100 miles, I replaced the wheel cylinder, return springs, hold down springs/pins, etc. The problem that has been going on with it is, I hit the pedal, its firm, car slows but cannot do a panic stop. Would this contribute to that?

Comment

Bob, after the brakes, please- hold off on further work and get a decent camera! I would love to see one decent picture of some part of the car[)]

Can't guess by your picture, but grooves can be built up by welding and reground.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
        Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

check the other "pads" that the shoes ride on as well, I suspect that those are worn as well (those usually wear first, actually - I usually see those worn before there's any noticeable wear in the area you posted.) 2 choices, either find some better backing plates or else have them welded up and ground flat as several others have suggested. When you reinstall the shoes put a little lube on all the points that the shoes rub against the backing plate.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Just went out and took a look. The other pads are completely worn down. Where can I find new backing plates. I looked at the SI site and there are none. These are completely shot.

Comment

Check with Bob Peterson or Mr. Biggs here on the Forum. One of them ought to have a set. I know I have some, but shipping from Canada on such an item would be excessively high.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Bob, check this out:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=35582

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

63 Lark Custom, The wear spot that your picture depicts I think is not normal as like something was amiss when the shoes were installed. I could be wrong but the areas of the backing plate that are suspect to wear and thus needing a dab of grease I don't think your picture displays the correct area. However, that groove doesn't belong on both sides of the anchor pin. That area definitely needs welded and smoothed. Someone else needs to chime in. Consult the shop manual when installing your new brakes. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I don't know how many times I've pulled drums to find much of what you have here, and misplaced hardware & parts....Like the anchor pin(s)..they need to be installed correctly, just like primary & secondary shoes....Check the manual like others suggest for re-install.....Many times the reason for these mistakes is the mechanic, or half baked mechanic(s) saying : I don't need the manual. or...I'll just re-install like the other side, or because I know they were done right by the last guy who didn't need the manual.
                    Oh yea...on your re-install Do Not grease the axles for hub install. Clean both surfaces with emory cloth or similar and crank down on the big torque wrench to 1st notch beyond 160-180 lbs....!!!

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. I got a new set of backing plates on the way. I do everything by the manual. Each time I have a job, I print the pages I need off the cdrom and have them with me while doing the work. When in doubt, I ask questions on here.

Comment

The excessive wear is partially caused because no one lubed the wear pads on the backing plate with Lubriplate high temp white grease like the factory and dealers did. (Silver & Black pint can in good Parts Stores) lightly applied with a acid brush.
                        There could be something else going on causing it to be extreme, may just be over 150 to 200,000 miles without lube. [:0]

Your symptoms sound very much like too loose an adjustment or too large drum size, they should not be turned much over the factory limit of 10.060 in. Tighten the adjuster until one hand pull on the tire feels locked, then loosen 10 clicks and you are good.
                        The slow release means the shoes are moving TOO FAR!

If you are using the '63 type automatic adjusters, I just back up and pump the pedal about a half block about twice should do it.

It could also be an worn (not square axle key or worn axle groove causing the drum to "rock" on the axle.

StudeRich
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                        X