Steering Wheel Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Wheel Dilemma

My '53 Commander steering wheel is badly cracked and will require an expensive restoration unless I find a compatible one with the existing horn button. Having no luck finding a '53. Any suggestions as to a suitable replacement?

Tim-Custom '53 Commander Starlight aka The Studebird in Yuma, AZ
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

You can send it out and pay for an expensive restoration or, you can do restoration yourself with products from suppliers like Eastwood. The other option, and probably more expensive, is to send your core to Shrock Brothers and have them send you a re-manufactured steering wheel. Theirs are not restored but totally new castings on original cores.
    I think current tariff is about $525. By far the best way to go if you can swing the funds.
    The horn button is a separate issue. I've seen excellent and NOS button caps offered for as much as the wheel costs![:0]
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

do you have a horn ring or a horn button? I have an "OK" wheel that I "restored" myself a few years back for a low trim level C-K with the horn button (not ring.) It needs to be done again as the cracks have reappeared but not as badly.

I believe the Schrocks recast wheels only for cars with a horn ring, not a button, unless they've made a new pattern since the last time I asked.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
      X