232 V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 232 V8

In keeping with the theme of some recent threads regarding preserving Stude parts, I have a 232 V8 block which needs a new home. It is a 1951 block, Canadian #VC1957, and it is completely bare except for the oil pressure relief valve. Not even main bearing caps. It has surface rust and there is no indication of a cylinder ridge. Is anyone interested? It's for sale cheap.

Terry Godkin
    BC Coastal Chapter
    27 Dictator sedan
    54 Commander Starliner

quote:Originally posted by dictator27

In keeping with the theme of some recent threads regarding preserving Stude parts, I have a 232 V8 block which needs a new home. It is a 1951 block, Canadian #VC1957, and it is completely bare except for the oil pressure relief valve. Not even main bearing caps. It has surface rust and there is no indication of a cylinder ridge. Is anyone interested? It's for sale cheap.
    I hate to tell you this, but a good running, complete 232 is tough to give away. A bare block is even tougher. I hope someone does snag it and keep it for the time it might be needed, but I wouldn't count on it.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Without those main caps it is worth $0.10 a pound.

Comment

I wish I had known that 232's are that unworthy.
        Since I retired over a year ago and having much time on my hand, last year I built up four NOS 232 short blocks. Using 259/289 new heads,
        later model front covers and all new parts. Compliments of Herwitch
        from few years back.
        Maybe all is not lost since I kept two of the engine creates like the ones sold on Ebay for almost $200.
        But yes a 232 w/o main bering caps is worthless.
        I am realy just trying to say that if you have the parts a 232 can be
        updated/ modernized and saved and used.
        Mine are running like a clock.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by pszikszai

I wish I had known that 232's are that unworthy.
          Since I retired over a year ago and having much time on my hand, last year I built up four NOS 232 short blocks. Using 259/289 new heads,
          later model front covers and all new parts. Compliments of Herwitch
          from few years back.
          Maybe all is not lost since I kept two of the engine creates like the ones sold on Ebay for almost $200.
          But yes a 232 w/o main bering caps is worthless.
          I am realy just trying to say that if you have the parts a 232 can be
          updated/ modernized and saved and used.
          Mine are running like a clock.
          I bet those are sweet running engines. I have a 224 V8 in my '55 pickup, and I really like it.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Greetings, pszikszai,

Evidently, you had access to four NOS 232" short blocks. That vastly changes the cost equation. It is not that a 232" is 'unworthy', especially for a 1951-54 restoration. However, they cost the same or more to rebuild from scratch than the still very common 259". You note in your post a 232" needs later heads to perform well. Understandably most Stude owners can see bigger engine, better performance, same cost and just decide to start with the 259".

thnx jv.

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

pszikszai, you're to be commended. Any Stude engine saved and or used is a good thing.
              But a bare block - without even caps.... He's gonna have to GIVE it to someone to find it a home.
              IF you caould find a set of caps and bolts, figure at least a hundred bucks just for the line bore proceedure plus more for a general cleanup of the block just to get it ready for a rebuild.
              I've got a running, complete 232 here that you can HEAR run before you pull it. You pull it and you can have it![:0]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr. Biggs.

Thanks for the offer, but I now have all the rebuilt & new engines that I expect to have a need for. I am not really championing 232s
                except that I happened to own them from a previous inexpensive
                purchase which included heads and cranks. Those deals are long gone,
                even here in South Bend.

Comment

Well, I agreed with your reasoning all the way. And while the "deals" may all be gone in SB, they're STILL out there! Every now and then someone will "improve" their Studebaker and offer a perfectly good engine up for adoption - usually right cheap. And stuff just KEEPS ON surfacing. For instance, I recently got a lead on what was characterized as a "warehouse" full of new, rebuilt stude stuff! Supposedly includes whole engines, trannies, etc.. We'll see! Might be a gold mine and it might be one engine and the remains of a gasket set. There's no tellin' until I see it with my own eyes.[8D]

BTW, a 232's a damned good engine. But the way the clock's played out for Studebakers, there's just more cores and parts to build the 259/289 family than the earlier 232.

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr. Biggs

If I wasn't so damn far away, I'd take you up on that free 232. I've got a 54 Commander that needs a transplant. I guess that bare block I've got is only good for a boat anchor, so it is off to the scrap yard.

Terry

Comment

Hey Bob if you pull it I'll throw in a stuck 53 six cyl[}]for trade.

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

Comment

I would not sell a 232 short. But, the problems with finding new caps, then finding a machine shop that would line bore for less than $150 around here and do it right without moving the crank up and binding the cam gear.

Comment

Working...
                        X