Rear bumper-Stude pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear bumper-Stude pickup

Looking for a rear bumper for my 1950 Stude 2R-C2 pickup.

good luck hard to find item.

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
    canbstudebakers-
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

A good diamond plate step bumper which most trucks got at the Dealer or aftermarket, are not too hard to find, but the factory bumper that matches the front one Bob is talking about, was rarely ordered and is extremely rare and pricey.

The truth be told, there is a very good reason why they were almost never ordered! The step bumpers have a full wraparound at corners, have a sturdy trailer hitch, are MUCH stronger and have a handy step included![^]

These were often made by local welding shops and still could be today if you don't find one.

In the Los Angeles, CA area the Co. most often used was Safe-T Bumper Co. or Saf-T Bumper, and they made one to custom fit both Wide Box ('61-'64) and Narrow Box '49-'61 Studes. []

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The OEM rear bumper is a for-looks-only piece. It is too flimsy to function as a trailer hitch and too high to be a convenient step.. Few were ordered because they didn't do anything well.

Just asking, what is the consensus market value of a decent rear bumper?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

Gee, I think you guys are being a little too hard on the OEM bumper... I'm happy with mine.

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island Chapter
          http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

LOOKS beautiful Mark! []

Function for a working truck...0

Most of them gave you a place to put your license plate also, instead of those speed brakes! [)]

StudeRich
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'm not looking for a "functional" bumper ie diamond plate or hitch, my truck will have more of a rat/street rod look, semi gloss black, has a chrome stock front bumper with chrome grill, frenched 54 Buick head lights, cheater slicks with port-a-walls, bias w/w on the front, will have a 49 Chevy sun visor and 53 Chevy tail lights.
              I'm going to check out 1974 BMW 2002 rear bumpers, they have the same shape as my front when you remove the rubber strip from the center and are straight.

Thanks for the help.
              Chuck

Comment

Mark,
                Is that a factory bumper?
                Looks too wide and also looks like it could sure be hard on a knee cap.

Nice lookin bumper but seems too long.

Dean.

Comment

Looks like a stock bumper to me.

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
                  http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dean pearson

Mark,
                    Is that a factory bumper?
                    Looks too wide and also looks like it could sure be hard on a knee cap.

Nice lookin bumper but seems too long.

Dean.
                    Yup, it's stock (chrome rear was an option in '57). I have not had any problems with my knees and that bumper as yet. 'Course, being over 6', it does make a nice step up into the box. []

It is a bit hard to discern in the picture, but it does not stick out past the rear fenders. [^]

<h5>Mark
                    '57 Transtar Deluxe
                    Vancouver Island Chapter
                    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander

Comment

With the license plates hanging out there... one would have to work at scraping a shin on the bumpers. They are really quite sturdy (and a real challange to hammer straight if they have been used... as most were). A lot orf work, some sweat, and a few coats of primer will get them looking good. I am sure I have seen many used ones for sale at the South Bend swap in years past.

duane miller

Comment

Working...
                      X