exploding battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by riversidevw

It's happened to me twice in past ten years. Both were 12v batteries in relatively late model vehicles (GMC truck and a Porsche). As mentioned in preceding post, both exploded very violently during starting. Probably coincidental, but both were same brand (DieHorribly?). Sears store people just shrugged and said "it happens". I'm fervently hoping that violent explosions and showers of acid should be less likely with products (such as Optima and Odyssey) NOT filled with liquid acid.

Gil Zimmerman
    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
    1956 Golden Hawk
    1958 Packard Hawk
    1958 President
    Yikes! I had a battery explode upon starting in a 1974 Dodge van ca. 1997 so I know what everyone here means------------scary stuff.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

One more thing with the water. Mix in some baking soda with the water and that will neutralize the battery acid. When I was in vocational school in the late 70's, we were jumping an old straight 8 Buick to start and the battery exploded. I will never forget that.

[img=left]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_SuHaRG4eFas/SevU9Pcl-jI/AAAAAAAACJs/cRB5QokGtEs/s288/DSC01155.JPG[/img=left]
      David King

1964 Studebaker Commander
      1958 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham (615)
      1966 Pontiac GTO convertible
      sigpic

David King

1964 Studebaker Commander
      1958 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham (615)
      1959 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham (56)
      1960 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham (83)
      1966 Pontiac GTO convertible

SDC Member#: A011937K