Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

crank shaft pulley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crank shaft pulley

I have a '55 champion with a '51 engine. I have replaced the timing gear and am now putting things back together. My question is how to get the crankshaft pulley back on. I have done a search already and have learned what NOT to do (pull it on with the bolt) but I don't see how to put it back on without using Studebaker's special tool, which, obviously, I don't have.

Thanks.

Put it in the oven to expand the whole thingy. You must first dissasemble the thing all the way and make sure to remove rubber insulation, pullies, every thing. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Shut off oven and remove the piece using welders gloves or something to protect your hands. The timing cover case should be installed loosely so the felt seal will center properly around the circumpherence of the thingy that encircles the crank snout that has the keyway. Put the key in the crank snout first. It is called something other than a harmonic balancer assembly but the word now escapes me. If you are indeed using a felt seal make sure it is new and soak it in oil before installing it in place under the washer like retainer that is fastened with screws to the timing cover.. Drill 1/8 inch holes in the washer like retainer at 5 and 7 o'clock.{before you install the retainer} This will allow oil to escape back into the timing cover instead of all over the front of your engine. Once you have the collar inserted on the crank and into the felt seal snug up the timing cover bolts. Install your pullies an locking washer that keeps your crank bolt fron backing out. Bend the edges to lay against the crank bolt head. Hope not to have been confusing. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
    X