Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Overheating Mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating Mystery

Is this the thermostat?

Water is gushing out of overflow when the car warms up. My mechanic put a new thermostat in in a few months ago and Im guessing wrong temp.

Thoughts?

Also - stupid question about the radiator cap... Do I tighten down or leave it without any pressure?

Thanks

Harry

Tighten it down if it is the right one, the early Studes used a longer stem for the rubber seal than newer cars and sometime people will put the wrong one on and get what you are observing.

Comment

The cap on my Hawk was allowing warm coolant to leak out so I bought a new cap from Stude-Intl and that resolved the issue (no more leakage). By the way, what does your temperature gauge say? If it doesnt show hot, then the themostat is fine.

1949 2R17
      R is for Rusty

In the middle of Minnesota
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

ALAN'S Right, you can have the wrong cap or a bad cap.a local radiator shop can test it. It could possibly be that the
        thermostat was put in backward?? Not saying it is!!!!! You
        also need to run and check the temperature to see if it is
        opening properly.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Are you leaving some room for coolant expansion? You can't fill these radiators all the way, just cover the tubes by a half inch or so.

Comment

IT does run hot. Im going to change the thermostat and get a new cap and see if that stops it. Thanks

Harry

Comment

quote:Originally posted by elerslie

IT does run hot. Im going to change the thermostat and get a new cap and see if that stops it. Thanks

Harry
              Possibly a stopped up radiator. BTDT.

Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Has the coolant been flushed out of the cooling system lately? I had to flush a 1963 V8 Wagonaire a couple of times to get the engine to cool. Both times that I flushed it, brown colored water came out. I recently replaced a rusted frost plug on a 1963 Hawk and upon removing the old plug, found large amounts of thick gunk in the cooling passage which would never flush out as it was so thick. I had to dig it out with a screwdriver and piece of heavy wire. You may need to remove a frost plug and see if you have the same junk. If so, remove all frost plugs, clean it out, and put in new plugs.

1949 2R17
                R is for Rusty

In the middle of Minnesota
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

As I thought - mechanic put thermo in upside down plus used a 180 dgree. Ugh.

Harry

Comment

quote:Originally posted by elerslie

As I thought - mechanic put thermo in upside down plus used a 180 dgree. Ugh.

Harry
                    Which is why to the maximum extent possible, based on ability and time every Studebaker owner should do his own work. I learned this many years ago when my trusted "mechanic" never actually checked the oil level in my wife's 5-speed tranny Corolla, and it burned up.

Russ Farris

1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                    1964 Avanti R-1 Auto
                    1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                    1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

upside down? it's the same thermostat as a Chrysler and installs in the same orientation.

I believe the stock temp 'stat in earlier cars was 160 degree which ought to be available; I don't really have a problem with using a 180 stat in a later car as stock temp was 170 and your only choices now are 160 or 180. I probably wouldn't use one in an R-engine though. Engine probably runs better at a higher temp, but on the flip side would be more prone to detonation.

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
                      X