X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Aftermarket intake manifold

I have not had any luck locating a later AFB style 4-bbl manifold
    for my Hawk 289; I have a new Edelbrock carb and need a matching
    manifold; my choices are to modify the original or to replace it.
    Does anyone know what would fit if I go the latter route?

Thanks,

Joe D.

email sent, but I got an error message.
    I've got a factory AFB manifold, email me if you are interested.

Steve
    Minden, Nevada

1960 Hawk R2 4 speed project
    Steve
    Buckeye, Arizona

1960 Hawk R2 4 speed project

Comment

I would buy a modified '58-'64 2Brl. Intake machined to fit Edelbrock AFB cone Carbs. by one of the SDC members who sell those, they work very well. [^]

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I have 10 of them sitting in my shop now, call me 510-266-2522 or e-mail from profile..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
        canbstudebakers-
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
          I have 10 of them sitting in my shop now, call me 510-266-2522 or e-mail from profile..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
          canbstudebakers-
          Hi Bob
          Couple of questions.
          Are these reworked 2bbl intakes for 289 to make them accept an Edelbrock 1406?
          Or 4bbl intakes machined out to accept the 1405 or 1406?
          Do you have to run a spacer?
          How much do you sell them for?
          Is there any core required?
          Please post for everyone or PM me.
          Thanks
          Brian
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Just to update everyone, I did locate and buy a later afb style manifold and installed it. Zero difference in performance from the old
            setup, with the original, unmodified manifold and Edelbrock carb with spacers to make it work.

Joe D.

Comment

What were you expecting from it? Chances are there was an improvement
              in efficency that you can not feel "seat of the pants". You also might be able
              to run more ignition advance now, and be able to tune more HP out of it. If
              you have ran a dyno before and after, I bet you would see a couple HP at the
              rear wheels ... but again .. you wont FEEL the difference.

Tom
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Since an otherwise unmodified 289" only needs 319 CFM @4500 RPMs, chances are the adapter plate wasn't losing you any horsepower at all.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Comeon Jack...you know fully well that a 600cfm carb. works very well on these little engines..
                  Despite all of the facts stating otherwise....!?!

Funny...even Edelbrock notes that their 500cfm carburetors are basically for 305 inches and under.

And that the fact that with the 55 (or 56) two and four barrel manifolds...they are the same casting, just machined different.

Though there IS something everyone can do to help the performance and milage of their V-8's -

With the manifold "off" of the engine, and the carbuetor off the manifold......round off the sharp corner where the plenum area turns into the runner.
                  Even just a half round file will work. Put about a 3/16" (3/8" circle) or so radius in all four edges of the runner entrance and smooth it into the outside walls of the plenum. Make it even all the way around the entrance.
                  The higher runners will be fairly easy to do this...but the lower runners will be a bit more challenging.

Take the time to do this right...you'll feel a difference, espicially on the freeway or say above about 45mph.
                  And the better "tuned" (that is properly jetted) the engine is, the more it will be noticed. A too rich, or too lean a tuned engine may not notice it as much.

Just think about water flowing around a corner.
                  Water will not go around a hard corner unless it's forced to.
                  It "will" go around a nice radiused corner very nicely, smoothly.

And gas is a liquid...just like water, it doesn't like a change in direction. And the faster it's running (freeway...), the less it likes changing direction.
                  This little modification helps the gas make the turn more easily and thus, makes a little extra power WITHOUT...giving up ANYTHING. Not very often you can gain something without giving up something...!

Mike

Comment

Comeon Jack...you know fully well that a 600cfm carb. works very well on these little engines.
                    C'mon, Mike, read my post.
                    Since an otherwise unmodified 289" only needs 319 CFM @4500 RPMs, chances are the adapter plate wasn't losing you any horsepower at all.
                    I didn't say his 600 CFM carb wouldn't work. I just pointed out the adapter wasn't a flow restriction, as the engine is incapable of using a full 600 CFM. That's why Joe didn't notice any change in performance.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                      C'mon, Mike, read my post.
                      Thats because all this :

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                      Comeon Jack...you know fully well that a 600cfm carb. works very well on these little engines..
                      Despite all of the facts stating otherwise....!?!

Funny...even Edelbrock notes that their 500cfm carburetors are basically for 305 inches and under.

And that the fact that with the 55 (or 56) two and four barrel manifolds...they are the same casting, just machined different.

Though there IS something everyone can do to help the performance and milage of their V-8's -

With the manifold "off" of the engine, and the carbuetor off the manifold......round off the sharp corner where the plenum area turns into the runner.
                      Even just a half round file will work. Put about a 3/16" (3/8" circle) or so radius in all four edges of the runner entrance and smooth it into the outside walls of the plenum. Make it even all the way around the entrance.
                      The higher runners will be fairly easy to do this...but the lower runners will be a bit more challenging.

Take the time to do this right...you'll feel a difference, espicially on the freeway or say above about 45mph.
                      And the better "tuned" (that is properly jetted) the engine is, the more it will be noticed. A too rich, or too lean a tuned engine may not notice it as much.

Just think about water flowing around a corner.
                      Water will not go around a hard corner unless it's forced to.
                      It "will" go around a nice radiused corner very nicely, smoothly.

And gas is a liquid...just like water, it doesn't like a change in direction. And the faster it's running (freeway...), the less it likes changing direction.
                      This little modification helps the gas make the turn more easily and thus, makes a little extra power WITHOUT...giving up ANYTHING. Not very often you can gain something without giving up something...!

Mike
                      ..... Is simply an attack on me, something Mike thrives on like a little child. Yawn.

Tom
                      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

OK boys, take it outside. Technical discussion only, please.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

There are several TW vendors that sell mod'd manifolds (two to four bbl). A guy in Arizona actully does machine work (I purchased on from him several years ago) - He advertises in TW as doing special machine work for Studebakers only.
                          Paul K

Comment

A late two barrel manifold modified to fit a modern Edelbrock carb is the same thing as an AFB manifold modified to fit a modern Edelbrock carb. They were both the same casting to begin with, and once the modification is done, they are the same part.

If you are going to modify one, might as well do the 2-barrel, and leave the relatively scarce factory AFB manifolds for the guys who need them for concours cars.

The modified manifolds do work well, and are the best choice for the job. There is no real alternative.
                            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                            X