62 hawk 350 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 hawk 350 conversion

I'm kicking around the idea of installing a 350 chev in front of the factory 4 spd in our 62 hawk. Lotsa questions concerning bellhousings,clutch linkage, etc. The motor mounts I can fabricate. Any pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.

That would be a WHOLE LOT of work. Adapting the Stude bellhousing to the Chevy engine or adapting the Stude T10 to a Chevy bellhousing would not be fun.

The easier way would be to use a Chevy bellhousing and a Chevy 4 speed (either a Muncie or T10). You may also want to consider a 5 (or 6) speed for the over drive. Sell the Stude 4 speed set up. It should sell for about the same as the Chevy parts will cost.

A hydraulic clutch set up would be the easiest to fabricate. You can sandwich another master cylinder next to the brake master cylinder for use as a clutch master cylinder (remove the residual check valve). Then use either a hydraulic throw out bearing OR a Chevy truck bellhousing from the 80's with the built in boss for a clutch slave cylinder.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks for the ideas I'll begin the new search for parts thanks again

Comment

What is the problem with the 289 in the Hawk?

Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        58 C Cab
        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Isn't the '62 Hawk 4 speed a GM bolt pattern at the bellhousing? If so then a sbc with a regular GM bellhousing should bolt right up to your existing 4 speed transmission. The frame stands for a sbc motor mounts are pretty commonly available in the aftermarket. Should be a super easy swap...as far as brand x transplants go.

Thomas

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Thomas63R2

a sbc with a regular GM bellhousing should bolt right up to your existing 4 speed transmission.Thomas
            I think he'd have a hard time getting that long Stude input shaft to fit into the Chevy crank.

Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Only the '61 Studes used the GM 4spd bolt pattern, '62 - '64 were Studebaker's own design.

Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              58 C Cab
              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Dick is on the right track here. A late-model 350 with a 5-speed would be the best choice. Get that overdrive gear for smooth highway cruising, plus a quiet shifter, too.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jerry Forrester

quote:Originally posted by Thomas63R2

a sbc with a regular GM bellhousing should bolt right up to your existing 4 speed transmission.Thomas
                  I think he'd have a hard time getting that long Stude input shaft to fit into the Chevy crank.

Jerry Forrester
                  Forrester's Chrome
                  Douglasville, Georgia
                  I did this back in the '60s when I was still a teenager.
                  Put a 'Chevy pattern' Studebaker 4 speed behind a 283.
                  While it bolted up to the bell housing just fine, the Stude input shaft was about 2" too long, I ended up cutting an inch off with a carbide saw, (very hard!)
                  and spaced the trans out from the bell with an inch-thick stack of washers! ('cause I'd already single-handedly wrestled-muscled that sucker into place and no-way was I ever gonna willingly pull it back out. )
                  This was in my '65 Cruiser and although 'crude' it did work fine, and stood up to a lot of abuse.
                  Of course this 'ruins' the rare Studebaker 4-speed for ever being used with a Stude engine again.
                  Much better and easier to sell, trade, or save the Stude box and get a common GM tranny.

Comment

I'm a Chevy guy, BUT. I bought a Studebaker because everybody else had Chevys and Fords. I have an Edelbrock carburator, a new electric fan and a Mallory electronic distributor on my Studebaker 289, 1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed. It leaks a lot of oil but I'm working on it. It runs great. I drive the crap out of it. I'm going to build another engine (Studebaker) but I don't think going to a 350 Chevy is going to do much. The reliability of my car right now is outstanding.

Bill Bow

1962 GT Hawk
                    Clermont, Florida
                    "Consistantly snatching defeat from the jaws of victory." Me

Comment

Wow what a lot of outstanding input I do appreciate the advice. I've had this Hawk for a year, the 289 needs rebuilt and is missing a few items like cam gear, the bolt for the harmonic balancer, starter plus other odds and ends. Dollar wise I have most of the chevy stuff which will help me get 'er going soon. I'm shopping for a 5 or 6 speed from a camaro but wonder about the S-10 5 spd tranny I assume it would bolt up to a small block. I hate to part with the ol' Stude 4 speed and 289 so I think I'll make a stand and rat hole 'em for safe keeping.
                      doug

Comment

If you attended the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags, and saw the job Richard Poe and John Rabb do against the much larger engined Brand X competitors with their non-supercharged 289s, perhaps you would be able to better appriciate the potential in your original engine.

Comment

The s-10 will bolt up..the power to trans from a v-8 to the s-10 tranny is the weak point. I did the same swap into my 62 Lark, but used the Camaro Tremec t-5, from a v-8. According to Tremec, it will hold up fine as long as I don't abuse it too bad. I'll find out this summer!!

Making resverations at the poor house parking lot for me and my 62 Lark..

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeluvr@msn.com

wonder about the S-10 5 spd tranny I assume it would bolt up to a small block.
                            Don't use the S-10 Tranny. It's too weak.

Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia
                            Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

thanks for all the input I've found a 259 very reasonable and decided that would be a lot less hassle and keepin' it Studebaker would be best. Thanks to everyone for helping me make up my confused mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X