Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

6 CYL 3sp Trans interchanges with ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 CYL 3sp Trans interchanges with ?

I wanto pull the 6 out of this 49 and put in an Olds V8. Well I just wanderd if it is possible to use the 3 gear it has . What does Studebaker interchange with if any thing? Is the flathead 6 I have a Chrysler engine ? I had heard they used them but do not know

Jared S Yocum

It would not handle the Olds even if you could adapt it. Your engine was build by Studebaker. BTW, you are in for some serious engineering to install the Olds since the Studebaker frame won't clear the pan for a start. A stick shift bell housing and flywheel for the Olds will be another major issue so please don't start cutting until you get all your ducks in a row. ( Measure twice, cut once.)

64 Commander 2 dr.
    64 Daytona HT
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    63 Lark 2 door #2
    62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
    62 Lark 2 door
    62 GT Hawk 4 speed
    60 Lark HT
    60 Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Well Thats just how I roll. I have the 394 Olds and it has a 4 speed manual behind it via hand made adapter done up in the late sixies and put in a 51 ford tow truck. Any how I will work twards that swap , The 6 er runs great .I switched it over to 12 volts and It starts nice now ,is that a 245? I have not yet looked at the frame crosser in the Stude yet ,the Olds has a rear sump pan though ,so I can't imagine it will be too hard to mount. I just like the colum shift three speed and I wandered if there was a chance it would work behind the Olds. Sounds like they are not higher horsepower tolerant .

Jared S Yocum

Comment

Jared, are we talking Stude car or truck? The engine COULD be a 245 or a 226 if it's the bigger 6 they had. It could also be a 170 if it's a Champion 6.

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If it's a truck, you'll be good to go. I'm just finishing up a 425 Caddy into a truck like yours, but with a TH400 automatic. The trucks engine sits up so high the pan is not a issue and there is lots of room under the hood. I wish I'd known you had a good 245 six, I might have saved the Caddy for another Studebaker. Here's the Caddy

64 Commander 2 dr.
          64 Daytona HT
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
          63 Avanti R1
          63 Daytona convert
          63 Lark 2 door
          63 Lark 2 door #2
          62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
          62 Lark 2 door
          62 GT Hawk 4 speed
          60 Lark HT
          60 Hawk
          59 3E truck
          52 Starliner
          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Jared, If you throw enough money at it you can do it. But that Olds weighs 700lbs. More than a Stude V8 by 20-50lbs. If I were going to put an Olds. in a Stude I would use the newer and lighter 350-455.

Comment

It is a 49 2R5 truck, I just bought it on ebay last week for my youngest son who is 11 now ,so I have a few years to finish it. We went to Albert Kansas to get it (1200 miles in 23 hours ) and every thing works on it even the horn and heater works ! I was amazed. But we are hot rodders by nature and so it has to get fitted with a V8 and the 394 fell in my lap about the same time. so fate says Rocket power. I have Chevys and Nailhead Buicks and have had some Olds motor before but never one that old.

Jared S Yocum

Comment

Id like to attatch a picture but I can not see to ,how do you do that ?

Jared S Yocum

Comment

Working...
                X