Aftermarket AC in a 53 coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by Jim B PEI

The vents/air distribution is Jeep; I'm not sure what is under the hood as a compressor, but again likely Jeep. Its the inside bit that looks and works surprisingly good, and fits extremely well.

That sounds pretty interesting,this is a behind the dash unit?
    I'll have to cruise the junk yard see what I see. If you get a chance to talk to the guy, any more info, or pics would be appreciated.
    Thanks again everyone

John
    Jim B on PEI
    63 259 o/d Wagonaire
    57 Champion W4 o/d
    57 Champion W4 automatic

Comment

Originally posted by mweiss View Post
      Used a Gen lV Vintage Air unit with a 56 Golden Hawk dash in a 53 HT. Fits with slight trimming of the heat dump openings at bottom of evap unit, and you can mount to standard crossbar for the dash. The unit will show in the front firewall area of passenger side, but looks like it belongs. Email me for photos of the project if you wish to see.The advantage of the Gen lV is it's their biggest and best unit, plenty of air flow. Thanks, m weiss

ok
      Would it still be possible to get these photos? Larry

Comment

The gen 4 VA unit will fit with some care, high powered and their best AC. The evap unit will show below the dash, but that's the way it is with most modern SUV and trucks. I didn't care about it.

Comment

Originally posted by mrobertweiss View Post
          The gen 4 VA unit will fit with some care, high powered and their best AC. The evap unit will show below the dash, but that's the way it is with most modern SUV and trucks. I didn't care about it.
          Thanks for the photo. It gave me ideas on where to put the controls. I assume you still have the factory wiper system and defrosters in place. I have ordered a Gen IV mockup unit to determine spacing. Do you have any photos on the brackets you used or made to hold the evaporator?

Comment

I can send these to your email if you wish, PM, etc. The brackets for the evap to firewall placement were straightforward, I don't recall what i used but probably some 1 inch 1/8 thick steel bar bent as needed. It's pretty obvious how to put it up. I did have to trim the ABS plastic heat dump openings slightly to fit it in, but again that was obvious how to do that. I Did NOT use the standard windshield wiper motor on this project, and the switch is seen in the above photo on the wood faced console, towards the right. That's another story. I wouldn't recommend what i did with the WW. The heat AC control was fitted into the dash where the original was, but it took a little work; the VA controls I used were the rather overpriced aluminum knobs, a nuisance to attach. The standard WW transmission shouldn't interfere with this setup, I just didn't use it.

Comment

Originally posted by mrobertweiss View Post
              I can send these to your email if you wish, PM, etc.
              I would like to see any photos you can share of your project. I haven't used the PM box so either that or my home address is larryl@rectec.net

Thanks for helping me with this.

Larry

Comment

Working...
              X