Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

47 studebaker m-5 truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47 studebaker m-5 truck

Hi, just joined the club Hope someone out there can be of help I have 2 47 studs,one for parts and one I have driven for 25 years I have dropped a 69 dodge dart 340 engine,tranny and rearend into my driver I have concerns about the front suspension will it hold up to the extra weight of the V-8 or should I replace it I have been told that a mustang-2 is a good choice I have not put it on the road yet still working on new brake system any suggestions are welcomed thanks michaelb

I have a "Fatmans" Mustang II front suspension under my 1947 M-5 and am very happy with it. It drives and rides well, and was a fairly easy installation. I don't know the weight of you Mopar engine but I used a Studebaker V8, which is a comparatively heavy engine, and the Mustang II V8 springs. Worked fine. I also used a MasterPower Brakes universal pedal/master cylinder. It fit well with minor modification, and works great. Both are weld-in applications, however, and if you are unsure about your welding abilities, I would have a professional install them.

Good luck,
    jj

Comment

It's unlikely but, if you have any salvage yards with an AMC Pacer sitting around, you may do well to take some measurements on its front suspension; get rack and pinion and, maybe, a tilt-wheel to boot.

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      33 Rockne 10
      51 commander Starlight
      53 Commander Starlight
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

The Pacer front end does fit fairly well. Also the Mopar Volare/Aspen suspension. The problem is in finding parts to rebuild them. I would check for parts availability before going to the trouble and expense of installing either of these. The aftermarket suspensions (there are numerous ones--buy a Street Rodder or Classic Truck magazine) use available parts, and also offer several updates such as air suspension or larger brakes. I chose the Fatmans because it is the cheapest of the bunch.

Good luck

jj

Comment

Working...
        X