No announcement yet.

zero compression in 5 out of 6 cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See if they all have rings. Sounds crazy, but "in the day" our town police car wouldn't run worth a darn, and wouldn't you know the 318 was put together without rings. Thank you, UAW....

'53 Commander
    Art Morrison chassis
    LS6 ASA/4L60E
    '53 Commander
    Art Morrison chassis
    LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kelmbaker

I've tried all the suggestions. I just pulled the head today. The cylinders still have fresh looking hone marks. Very little carbon. I think the rebuild story was correct. The head gasket looked almost new. Some black buildup on the gasket web between 2 and 3 and again at 4 and 5. Not torqued correctly? Didn't retorque after a few hundred miles? cleaned the head and depressed the valves. The seats look OK, as do the valves. Hard to really tell without a complete tear down. If you fill the combustion chamber with paint thinner (spark plug in) they all hold the liquid. The valves sit up on the valve seat as they should. I'm putting it back to gether and see what I have. And yes, all 6 pistons were present and accounted for.

Kelly J. Marion
      Check the head and deck for flatness just in case... wouldn't want to waste another head gasket.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I wonder if they used the right timing gear. I seem to remember that gears changed when they went to the bigger bearing crank, and that the number of teeth changed by 2 teeth or something on the cam gear.
        mike

mike

Comment

Did you have the throttle blocked open during the compression test??

Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I just want to put my 2 cents in I THINK YOU NEED TO LOOK AT THE TIMMING GEARS thats is all I have to say

Comment

Took off the head, seated the valves (some were slightly rusty due to sitting, new head gasket with copper coat, retorqued the head, set the valves. New compression numbers:
              Starts and runs well.....

Kelly J. Marion

Comment

Thanks for the follow-up on the compression and rear end swap. It is much more helpful for some of us to know what the right answer is.

Comment

Working...
                X