Finned valley covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finned valley covers

Must be late midlife crisis or beginnings of senile dementia, but I'm thinking of doing some engine dress up on one of my cars.

For the valve covers, I'll be using the polished four stud aluminum covers offered by Offenhauser.

Any especially good (or bad) experience out there with the cast aluminum finned valley covers offered by various vendors? I did find some older postings showing modifications required for one product which originally had no provision for a road draft tube. I get the impression from earlier postings that the finish and fit of some of the stuff out there leaves something to be desired. I'm not prepared to do a lot of "field modifications".

Gil Zimmerman
    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
    1956 Golden Hawk
    1958 Packard Hawk
    1958 President
    Gil Zimmerman
    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
    1956 Golden Hawk
    1958 Packard Hawk
    1958 President
    1963 Avanti R2

I used used Offenhauser valve covers. They cleaned up nicely, took the engine paint well, and sealed very good. I thought they were more period correct looking than the ones that say "Studebaker" on them. Also, I don't know who sells new ones with the 4 hold down holes.

My valley cover is new but unused. I don't know where it was originally purchased. I used a road draft tube on mine. The hole in the valley cover was too small and I had to have a machine shop make it the correct size. The fins in the middle were ground off to clear the intake manifold. I don't know if a previous owner did this, or if the original manufacturer did. In any case, it is necessary to fit an intake.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

there are two different versions, for use with and without road draft tube.

Only "gotcha" that I'm aware of is that if you use the LS aluminum intake, you need to shave down some of the fins for clearance for the front intake runners. (in fact, if you were planning on doing that, I have one that's already been modded to fit.) Other than that they're fine. There is no baffle under the road draft tube/PCV connection like the stock one; not sure if that is an issue or not, but if you have problems it shouldn't be a big deal to fab one out of sheet stainless or aluminum and screw it to the underside of the cover.

The removed fins that Dick is referring to for the crossover passage clearance are cast into all of the new production ones that I've seen.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

That's beautiful!

The valve covers are Offy part #1190. I purchased mine from hotrods USA:

http://www.hotrodsusa.com/store/offy.html

I believe they currently also have some listed on eBay. There are other suppliers of the same covers, including JEGS Performance.

If you order from Hotrods, they are shipped directly from the manufacturer. That happens if and when the manufacturer gets around to it, may be a couple of weeks, the manufacturer provides little info (including tracking) to anyone, including the seller, on status of order. Mine took a bit over two weeks.

Gil Zimmerman
        Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
        1956 Golden Hawk
        1958 Packard Hawk
        1958 President
        Gil Zimmerman
        Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
        1956 Golden Hawk
        1958 Packard Hawk
        1958 President
        1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Dick, I still think that is the most gorgeous Stude engine ever stabbed under a hood.
          Truly a classic view!

Chris Pile
          http://midwaystudebakers.tripod.com/
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

The cover that Lionel Stone sold/selling is very heavy but has a centering ridge so the gasket fits nicely and centers well over the opening.

There's one sold on e-bay that looks similar...maybe one less fin count, but theres no centering rib...much cheaper. Also has no road draft tube location. So you'll need breathers in your rocker covers.

Both visually nice.

Mike

Comment

Working...
            X