Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Aerostar suspension adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerostar suspension adapter

Ever heard of this, or have any opinions ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQ...81307077QQrdZ1

64 Commander 2 dr.
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    63 Lark 2 door #2
    62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
    62 Lark 2 door
    62 GT Hawk 4 speed
    60 Lark HT
    60 Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Ever heard of this, or have any opinions ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQ...81307077QQrdZ1

64 Commander 2 dr.
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    63 Lark 2 door #2
    62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
    62 Lark 2 door
    62 GT Hawk 4 speed
    60 Lark HT
    60 Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    Google is my friend<G>:
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...art_Eight.html
    But you have to 'join' to see the whole article and pics. This is the first I have heard of the Aerostar swap, but do admit I don't keep up with the early truck modification scene like I used to.

The eBay ad is curious, thought......no pictures of the front end in the truck, showing how the truck sits, etc. The dimensions of the front track compared to the Studebaker truck would have been good info to post; would not want to have to buy expensive wheels to correct a significant difference between the two.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I've heard of this swap and saw one on a 56 Ford pickup. Seemed to be an easy swap. I think the entire sub-frame comes off with four bolts. The 56 I saw had it welded on and the most complicated part looked to be centering it up side to side and filling that area in with metal. The only problem I could see was the A-arms are made from very small rod that did not appear very strong.

Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.
      Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

That same Ebay seller has (or had) a Stude truck chassis with the Aerostar IFS up for auction. Doesn't look like he boxed the frame, which I'd think one would want/need to do. Here's a pic:

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
        Woodbury, Minnesota
        sigpic
        Bob Shaw
        Rush City, Minnesota
        1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
        "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

there must be more info aerostars are front wheel drive are they not ? so what spindles etc are used. ?

Comment

Actually the Aerostars are rear wheel drive and were built on Ranger frames I believe. At least the engine, tranny and front suspension were the same. My mom has both an Aerostar and Ranger and as far as mini-vans go, Ford didn't hold a candle to the Dodge mini-vans. If you ask me the Aerostar was kind of a stop gap measure until they had time to build a front wheel drive mini-van.

Comment

By the way, I don't know why so many people think the Stude front end needs to be replaced with something else. If you think your Stude handles sub-par, why not just install heavier springs and shocks up front, install a stiffer or double up the front sway bar and use wider low profile radial tires. Throw on heavier rear shocks and slip in another leaf or two in the springs and that would probably do more for less money for those who think a Stude needs to ride like a log wagon to be considered sporting.

However, swapping a straight front axle for independent front suspension on a pickup would be an improvment though as long as the job was done right.

Comment

Don't forget a sway bar in the rear.
                Klif

55 Speedster
                42 Champ Coupe
                55 Speedster/Street Machine
                63 Avanti R2
                64 Convertible R1

Comment

This guy's a real salesman! I wrote the seller asking for some photos of what $400 would buy me. A fair enough question I would think.
                  Here's the reply I got:

"These three kits will probably be sold by the time I get some pics on there. I guess you could spend $1200 for a Mustang II crossmember and another $1500 for all of the specialty parts to make it work. Then hope it never breaks down and lays up your truck til you can special order all of the custom made parts you 're gonna need. Or, here's an idea: buy my kit and save nearly $2,000 and have a front suspension that can be repaired with parts from Pep Boys. Good Luck bidding. Mike."

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

This January TW has an ad for all new suspensions for 39-46 Champions
                    with 47-49 front and rear coming soon, and M, R, and T-Cabs.
                    Slick Street Stuff ad on page 59.

3E38
                    4E2
                    4E28
                    5E13
                    7E7
                    8E7
                    8E12
                    8E28
                    4E2
                    59 Lark
                    etc

Comment

It is in my Feb. T.W.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Your right, its the Feb TW.
                        I got cheap this year and went for regular postage instead of first class.

The TW arrives a few days later and without an envelope.

3E38
                        4E2
                        4E28
                        5E13
                        7E7
                        8E7
                        8E12
                        8E28
                        4E2
                        59 Lark
                        etc

Comment

Aerostars could be had with either RWD or AWD!

Wonder how hard it'd be to put that AWD setup under a Stude- car OR truck....

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                          Parish, central NY 13131
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

The aerostar front track width is 63 2/4" flange to flange. The sway bar brackets bolt right on to the frame after drilling two holes per side. The rack unit is tilted rearward since it is mounted practically vertically in the aerostar. The 454 powered truck does not use this kit; it is welded in and lowers the truck 2 1/2 inches than the bolt in kit, which will set your rocker panel at about 10 1/2" on a level truck. Dropped spindles would be nice but are they available? The drivers side engine mounting crossmember has to be cut out about halfway up to clear the steering shaft. So more engine support would be necessary on a stocker. The kit uses 3" by 6" 3/16" rectangular tube with two holes for alignment per side. These two holes coincide with the brake line hole and the front steering box hole. Two bolts is not enough to safely hold this together so either drill more holes or weld it in. These two adapters bolt to the aerostar crossmember on the bottom; and locate and secure the upper aframe stands at the top.

Comment

Working...
                            X