Customizing a hardtop into a convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customizing a hardtop into a convertible

I have a '55 President Hardtop that I am customizing. I am seriously kicking around the idea of turning it into a functional, drivable, convertible. If any of you folks have ideas on what cars will work as donors for the convertible top components I would really appreciate it. I know of one fellow that has a gorgeous red convertible that uses a '65 Dart as the basis for it. I'm just looking for more options for when I start looking for the donor. The more choices I have the easier it will be to find what I need.
    I am using all of the suspension & drive components and electronics from an '09 Dodge Charger Hemi R/T All Wheel Drive that I picked up from an insurance auction as the muscle and brains of the car. The frame is an Art Morrison.
    I will have lots of parts and pieces that will come off the Studebaker that I need to pass along to folks that need them. I could use some good advice on handling that as well.

Kyle Grinnell
    Kyle Grinnell
    Tacoma ,WA
    \'55 President State (under construction)

Plan on beefing up the frame a lot, or replace it with rectangular tubing or something else.

Recently, I saw a 2009 hemi Charger police package car, that was totaled with only a few thousand miles on it, at an auction. IIRC, it sold for about $2K. I thought that it would have made a good transplant with everything there. I am beyond doing major projects.

I like your mechanical modifications, but would keep the car with stock hardtop lines.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
    X