Truck Bellhousing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Bellhousing

I think I read someplace that there is a truck bellhousing that will fit a Stude V-8 and has enough room to redrill for a Chev. trans. mounting flange. If this is true, what is it and p/n? Thanks

It's the housing for a '56-'64 V-8 Truck with a T-89 (T-85 type) 3 speed Manual or Overdrive Trans. (in the Studebaker Truck Parts Catalog.)

It requires TWO Truck cast iron engine mount "legs", four round rubber/steel mounts, two spacer sleeves, two large LONG bolts, flat washers and Nuts. [u]and a Truck</u> to PROPERLY mount it.

People, (maybe ONE person) have/has made brackets to custom fit their car and aligned to the Chassis, if this is something you can or want to do, it MAY work for you. [:0]

I think if I were trying to install a T5 5 speed, I would use the '61 and early '62 Hawk Bell Housing that a Chevy case BW T-10 4 speed bolts right up to. [:0]

I think the Truck housing is the #2 preferred method!

Matt: is this person Alan? [:0] [:0] [:0]

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I betcha Alan could do it in his sleep, Rich.

Matthew Burnette
      Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Matt: is this person Alan? [:0] [:0] [:0]

StudeRich
        My post was referring to Alan doing this a while back. Hopefully he'll see this and post his thoughts on it.

Comment

Agreed, the '61-62 4-speed bellhousing is the easy way to go. BTW, the truck 4 and 5-speed bellhousings weigh darn near twice as much as the passenger car bellhousings.

However,
          quote:It's the housing for a '56-'64 V-8 Truck with a T-89 (T-85 type) 3 speed Manual or Overdrive Trans. (in the Studebaker Truck Parts Catalog.)
          does the 3-speed bellhousing have any more mounting surface than the car? Don't know, because I don't have one handy. I do know the 4-speed and 5-speed is wide enough to mount the T5

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

Yes Jack it's a re-drilled H.D. 4 speed truck housing they used for the 3 speed T-89 with the same huge machined pad in the shape of a 4 or 5 speed Truck tranny on it! More correctly a Blank without mounting holes, drilled for 3 speed. And you're right, it weighs a ton! [:0]

StudeRich
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Just weighed a 1686171-1 truck housing I drilled for Rich Tovar and it weighs 34 3/4 lbs.

Comment

Alan, what's involved in mounting that housing in a car chassis? I know it'll bolt right in my '59 truck.

Comment

Matt, There are a couple of ways to do it. First is the motor mounts on the sides of the bellhousing, you can make them out of 3/16" or 1/4" steel. They are like the automatic trans. mounts for an Avanti. There are 3 different mounts if you are putting it into a C or K model, a Lark or Avanti. The Second is to machine a flat and drill and tap 2 holes for the early mount, on the bottom of the housing. Third is to make a 1 1/2" tube crossmember to fit. Then you are back at what car you are putting it in.

Comment

Thanks, it gives me another option if I can't find a '61-'62 car housing. Maybe something at South Bend in May.

Comment

Working...
                    X