Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buddymander
    replied
    If it whines when you give it gas, the ring is too close to the pinion; if it whines when you let off the gas (with engine braking) it's too far away. I always adjust them so that I feel just the slightest amount of clearance between the two.

Leave a comment:

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    All the books I have indicate that the ring and pinion are matched sets and need to stay together. If it was me, I would set the carrier and pinion pre-load and pinion depth according to the manual. I used the old trick of stuffing a rag between the pinion and ring and the carrier came right out - so no spreader required.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by rockinhawk

I have never done the TT swap, but I replaced a 4.27 in a truck with a 3.54 from a hawk. Both were 44's and I had no trouble. I had an old MOTOR'S repair manuel that gave step by step directions. Still works good. NT
    Yep. Truck was a '59 halfton, Hawk was a '60 model. Seems like I remember you using two long screwdrivers to pry the "chunk" out.

I put 10K miles on it just myself, not including how many miles my granddad put on it before that. He had never done rear end work before and was giving it a shot, as it couldn't have made it any worse than what it was. There's never been any trouble out of it.

Matthew Burnette
    Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Leave a comment:

• bige
    replied
    You could get lucky but the whole idea of "setting up a rear" is that no two cases, ring gears, pinions etc are EXACTLY the same. They are close that's why adjustments are in thousanths of an inch and a little off makes for noise, early wear or outright breakage.

You could take a shot, check the backlash, run a pattern and you never know. Doesn't cost anything but time.

Removing the center section doesn't require anything special just some muscle and a pry bar.

ErnieR

R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006________________ 1988 "Beater" Avanti

Leave a comment:

• rockinhawk
    replied
    I have never done the TT swap, but I replaced a 4.27 in a truck with a 3.54 from a hawk. Both were 44's and I had no trouble. I had an old MOTOR'S repair manuel that gave step by step directions. Still works good. NT

Neil Thornton
    Hazlehurst, GA
    '57 Silver Hawk
    '56 Sky Hawk
    '51 2R16 dump truck
    Many others.

Leave a comment:

• kelmbaker
    started a topic changing a Dana 44 center section

changing a Dana 44 center section

The model 27 in my Commander is on borrowed time. I have a #44 out of a late model with finned drums, but still a tapered axle unit. I bought a twin track center "chunk" that was originally in a 3.31 unit. The 44 I have is an open 3.31. I bought a center section from a professional mechanic who has been turning wrenches for his livelihood for a long time. He told me to remove the open center section, keep track of the shims and where they go, change the ring gear from the open unit to the TT unit, and install the TT unit with the spacers in the same order and place as found. The differential should be already set up. He's done this many times, I never have.
    1) how hard is it to remove and install the center section with no specialized tools?
    2) has anyone done this that could give some pointers?
    3) is this something to take to a differential shop? My wife is limiting the budget so any money saved would be welcomed.
    Any observations would be appreciated.

Kelly J. Marion
Working...
X