Heads Specs ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads Specs ???

i was given a pair of heads - casting #1557570 - i researched and came up with specs one from bob johnstones site and one from studebakerparts.com site - how do i identify if they are 54 cc or 54.5 cc heads - besides cast # and below cast # are a 3 on one and 4 on other head also on one is 9 21 R and on the other 9 20 R - are these the 8.25 compression heads or the R1 heads
    thanks for clarifying.

quote:Originally posted by Alexander Feiman

are these the 8.25 compression heads or the R1 heads
    thanks for clarifying.
    The answer is BOTH! These are '63-'64 Lark/Hawk Heads they produce 8.5 with a 259 crank & 259 flat top pistons or a 289 crank & deep Dish pistons[:0]

If you use them with R1/R2 flat top Pistons you get 10.25, you can lower either by .5 when using the '55-'56 thick sandwich head gaskets. [^]

You can purchase from Studebaker Vendors, the shallow dish 289 pistons, to get about 9.0 or 9.5 to one, to run on Regular gas.

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

thanks i appreciate the feedback

Comment

The 3 and 4 Identify the particular set of pattern equipment used to mold the head. The numeric/alpha numbers are the casting date code.

R2Andy
        R2Andrea

Comment

The chamber volume is "53.000 +/- 1 C.C.
          with spark plugs and valve assembeled in place". These heads were designed for the R1 but were also used on the '63 / '64 259 and 289's. The actual compression ratio is dependant on the total clearence volume

R2Andy
          R2Andrea

Comment

thanks to all and have a very merry CHRISTMASS

Comment

quote: how do i identify if they are 54 cc or 54.5 cc heads
              Unless they are NOS heads, there is NO way to know from a casting number what is the actual chamber volume. Even then, the Stude chamber volume is always larger than the blueprint dimension Many heads have had valve jobs and the seats sunk quite a bit. Many heads have been milled a bit. A few have been milled a lot. This last is the one to check because every once in a while a pair of heads show up where a CASO has milled from .060" .125" to raise the compression, rather than buy the flat top R1 pistons.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
              X