No announcement yet.

brake fluid for 63 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With DOT 5 Jon Myers recommends placing a 45 degree pipe fitting, pointing up, betwen the MC and the switch.

Richard

Comment

Richard, does Jon's recommendation delay or prevent the failure of the pressure-operated switch?

Comment

I strongly recommend a mechanical switch to provide instant indication of brake application. Avantis do not take kindly to being rearended!

Comment

I picked up a mechanical switch on ebay and plan to install it when I reassemble the car.

Comment

Strange, the biggest reason I changed to Silicon was not mentioned and it's actually quite important to older drum brake systems, especially in mountainous areas. IT HAS A HIGHER BOILING POINT. If you've ever had brake fade or brakes going out due to boiling brake fluid it's very scary. So the very next thing you do is switch to something that helps prevent it -DOT 5 silicon brake fluid. Plain and simple. It was a safety choice for me, but the added benefit of less rust and moisture in the system was also good. When I did it, I got a new pressure switch from SASCO or SI, I don't remember because it was 12 years ago and it's still working great. Leaks haven't been an issue either. There's a little seepage from the bleed screw on one cylinder but I've had that on DOT 3-4 systems, so it's not unique to DOT 5.

Best Regards,
            Eric West
            "The Speedster Kid"
            Sunny Northern California
            Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
            And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
            55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
            55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)
            Best Regards,
            Eric West
            "The Speedster Kid"
            Sunny Northern California
            Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
            And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
            55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
            55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)

Comment

Working...
            X