brake fluid for 63 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake fluid for 63 Avanti

I got my Avanti running this summer after 5 years of inactivity. I am now bleeding the brakes, I was wondering what kind of brake fluid I should be using to replace the old with.

How often are you going to drive it?

Doug
    Venice, Florida
    1950 Champion
    9G F1

Comment

once I get it properly working, maybe 3-4 times a week

Comment

After it's been sitting for some period, you'd do well to replace the rubber hoses if you already haven't and rebuild the calipers and wheel cylinders. I would use either DOT3 or DOT4 brake fluid. To use DOT5 silicone fluid you have to completely flush the system and make absolutely sure there are no remnants of DOT3 or -4 left before fulling with DOT5...they do not mix in any way, shape or form and can cause problems such as clogs in the system, spongy pedal and air in the lines that's almost impossible to bleed out.

That being said, DOT5 silicone fluid has the advantages of not absorbing moisture, reducing if not eliminating corrosion in the lines, calipers and wheel cylinders, and will not hurt your paint if spilled. It is very difficult to bleed all the air out. Most, if not all, performance car makers specifically recommend against using DOT5 in the cars.

For most uses, DOT3 or DOT4 is better...maybe you have to flush and refill your system every couple of years but it's probably the better choice.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Dot 4 is a higher temp. premium fluid Rick, that is about all except the price.

Standard fluid fluid for all U.S. cars prior to 1980 and probably beyond is Dot 3.

That said, not everyone here or anywhere else, will agree with gunslinger, those of us that have successfully used Dot 5 Silicone for 30 years and never again touched the hydraulic system again, will disagree with that! [:0] [^]

StudeRich
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

so what are you saying? Which would you go with?

Comment

I run DOT 5 in my 52 ragtop, and standard DOT 3 in my Avanti. Both are fine, no issues with either. The DOT 5 is a lot more expensie. BUT do NOT mix the 2 types.
              Be sure to flush out the lines, and per Raybestes, change rubber brake hoses every 2-3 years!

Jim
              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
              their Memorials!

Comment

OK Rick, there are no right or wrong opinions or choices here on the Forum. I think it is pretty clear that gunslinger simply prefers the Dot 3 or 4, Quote: "For most uses, DOT3 or DOT4 is better" unquote.

And I and most who have actually TRIED it, clearly prefer the Dot 5.

And the Inventor, Manufacturer and Seller of the Turner Disc. brake kits, has had good luck with both.

It could very well be that it depends on your usage, car and expertize at Installing it etc., as to which you choose! [^]

As has been mentioned, if you completely rinse, blow out, clean all the lines with air, alcohol and or BrakeClean, and replace all possible components (which you most likely NEED anyway), the Dot 5 will work well for you. If you cannot, will not, or whatever then it may not! [:0]

I happen to like doing a hard, but not difficult job like this only ONCE in my lifetime on each car and saving Thousands $ by doing so. [^]

Always remember...your car, your money and YOUR choice!

StudeRich
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rickburgen

so what are you saying? Which would you go with?
                  I'm assuming you want to keep this simple for now, right? Grab some DOT3. It will mix readily with what's in your brake system, and it does the job just fine. LH

Straight from the horse's mouth
                  Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

thanks guys!

Comment

Maybe I've been misinterpreted, maybe I could have been more clear (or both), but I never intended to say to rule out silicone brake fluid, just that if one wants to use it, to completely, and again...COMPLETELY, flush the entire system out before filling it with DOT5 fluid. That's another good reason to replace the rubber hoses and rebuild the calipers and wheel cylinders. If someone doesn't intend to flush the entire system, I would caution against using silicone fluid...just a safety precaution.

Once that is done, there's no reason not to use DOT5...just be diligent that no one ever adds DOT3 or DOT4 fluid whenever the car is serviced. If you do your own servicing, that's not an issue.

Avanti Motors began using silicone fluid as factory fill about 1970 (their sales materials referred to it as "silicon" fluid) and I've heard of no problems, but the non-compatibilty of silicone and mineral based brake fluids may not have been well understood by the general public and many techs of the era and who knows how much brake problems with Avanti's were blamed on the Dunlop/Bendix brake design when it could have been wrong fluid added to the brake hydraulic system?

Comment

One consideration in using DOT 5 fluid is that it seems to find leaks a lot better than DOT 3. Billy Thompson, White Post Restorations, who advertises in TW (or used to) sleeving brake cylinders with brass, recommends against using DOT 5. I have had DOT 5 in my cars for years with very little problem, but I have had leaks- around the threads on the crossover pipes on disc brake calipers and with wheel cylinders on my '53. Yes, the cylinders were sleeved with brass.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

That said, not everyone here or anywhere else, will agree with gunslinger, those of us that have successfully used Dot 5 Silicone for 30 years and never again touched the hydraulic system again, will disagree with that! [:0] [^]
                          I guess I wouldn't go that far. Brake hoses don't last 30 years even with DOT 5 in the system. Wheel cylinder and MC cups probably don't either. Brakes are too important to neglect for 30 years no matter what type of fluid you are running.

Also, it is still a good idea to run about a pint of new DOT 5 through the system every year (just like you would with DOT 3), bleeding all wheel cylinders to get out any contaminants.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I don't think you guys are that far apart. I pretty much agree with all of the above. Filling with DOT 5 requires a complete flush of the brake system and replacement of all rubber components. It is a little harder to bleed the air out, and there are credible reports that it tends to leak a bit more. However, it does not promote rust, does not tend to get contaminated like DOT 3/4, and is not corrosive to paint. It is definitely more expensive, but a gallon jug will last for years, so what different does it make? It is particularly well-suited to cars that are driven less frequently, as it will not cause wheel cylinders / calipers to stick.

I've had DOT 5 in four cars for 30 years, and am still only halfway through my second gallon jug of DOT 5. No leaks. That said, I run DOT 3 in my more modern cars, as they're more likely to need more frequent brake work anyway due to their higher annual mileage.

If you're gonna rebuild the brake hydraulics anyway, and if you're gonna store the car during the winter, DOT 5 may be a better choice. Otherwise, follow Larkhunter's advice -- just stick with DOT 3.

Skip Lackie
                            Washington DC
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

"Always remember...your car, your money and YOUR choice!"

Add to that, do it right, as it's also your life!!

Jim
                              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                              their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                              X