T-85C-1A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-85C-1A

63 GT w/ 3 spd T86 no OD and converted to floor shift (sycros bad). Have old column parts to convert back. Found a T-85C-1A with OD for $100.00.(not a clue as to condition-too far from home). Understand 1540811 and 1540810 plus OD set up is a necessity. Bob's Resource (2007) says must use bell housing 1539373 or one already on 63 and 64 V8 cars. Like idea of T-85C-1A as the GT is also driven by 17 year old male. Drive to meets in OD = sweeeeet!! My 71 year old Stude mechanic says check the clutch disc and replace syncros and be happy ( but also said no such heavy duty T-85C-1A trans in trucks, police cars, or taxis). Was he wrong? and...will I have drive shaft issues?

Yes, the T85 is a hell-for-stout transmission. The first task is to determine exactly which one you have. Is it a long tailshaft with a slip yoke or short tailshaft with a fixed yoke?

If you are incredibly lucky and have a long tailshaft, it is much closer to a bolt-in. The bellhousing which is OEM on the '63 GT w/T86 also fits the T85. The driveshaft should fit also.

I always install a Hurst floor shift on all of my T85s. It makes the car fun to drive and infinitely easier to install than a column shift. If a teenager is driving it, consider traction bars and TwinTraction to be a safety must also. Flanged axles from Fairborn are certainly a good investment for a sports Stude.

No, The T85 is not a slam-dunk-bolt-in, as the tranny and shifter arms could have come from several different cars. Are you even certain you have a Studebaker-spec T85? The last one I bought turned out to be from a Ford pickup and is worth more than the Stude versions. Also be aware the truck T89 versions all say T85 on the castings, but have different gears and all are short tailshaft, fixed yoke.

Maybe, you should post photos and measurements so we can help you get it going.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Comment

*checks profile*

darn, too far from me

would love to find a short tail T85 for $100!

like Jack said, 1st order of business is to determine long or short tail. It wouldn't be a bolt in in any case - at the very least even if you found a Stude long-tail T85 you'd have to figure out some shift rods.

Far easier in your situation would be to try to find a T86/OD which would be much easier to find, and would be a direct bolt in other than the OD wiring. You should probably buy the T85 anyway and figure out what it's from and resell it. Unless it's a complete dog there's got to be at least $100 worth of goodness in it.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel
      --
      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

N8N gives good advice if only an older CASO driver is involved. With a teenager driving it, the lifespan of a floor-shifted T86 w/overdrive in GT 289" V8 is like a Marine on Iwo Jimo. ("Wanna see how this thing's got six speeds? Watch me get low-overdrive!") Know how I know? Because that's exactly what I did when I was seventeen.

If Larry wants to go that route, I've got for sale a long-tailshaft T86 w/overdrive out of a running '64 Daytona. Personally, I'd spend the money on a T85 - twice the strength for the same amount of labor to install.

Back to N8N's pitiful plea for a $100 short shaft T85. The majority found will actually turn out to be T89s out of trucks. Not a bad way to go for a daily driver, as the lower 1st and 2nd gears are quick out of the hole, but a big drop into 3rd. For real race performance, the car ratios are better.

your money, your car, your decision.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

In addition to the t85 variations listed, there is also a 56 golden hawk version with an input shaft and bearing retainer that are different than the stude one, since it had a 352 packard in front of it.

54 Champion coupe
          48 Champion Convert
          54 Champion coupe
          48 Champion Convert

Comment

Not to mention those T85s which came in Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge, Plymouth, Ford, Thunderbird, Mercury, Edsel, IH, Checker and a few others.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

No long tail shaft. Green like Kermit the frog only darker. Seller reports is a T-85C-1A which would make it a 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk 56J. Hopefully with the R-11 Borg Warner with 4 gears in the planatary. At rear of sideloader cover should be a stamp (example B68-2 = FEB 6th 1958 on second shift). Seller now checking for how mine is stamped which I assume Studebaker workers did at the factory. Second numeric will tell the tale. I suspect it is from a 1956-1957 Ford with 312 332 or 352 V8. I had a 56 Ford rag top with the 312 Police with 3 on tree and OD. Rebuilt that tranny twice in 1963- so much for dumping the clutch. 63 GT already has Hurst shifter in it so may keep shifter on floor. Good on bars, Twin and flanged. Oh dear on the T89 with the T85 casting being a truck tranny and this one does have the short tailshaft. Looks just like one @ Bob's Resource (2007). Being shipped for $117.83. from East. Will post photos and if is a rag. Race performance? Not my grandson. Only when out of earshot who knows.

Comment

if you want to use a floor shift on a T85/T89 you will have to do some custom work, there was a previous thread here about making/modifying a bracket to mount a Hurst shifter on a T85/OD without interference. It can be done, just doesn't work out of the box.

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                --
                55 Commander Starlight

Comment

It's here-like new inside. gonna take apart anyway, check bearings etc.
                  then new gaskets=no future leaks $156.40 for 5 inches of books 59-63
                  and no mention of T85. 1540810 retainer same as T10 four speed tho. Guess that's good news for throw out bearing. 40 or 50 weight? Since it
                  will be clean inside --synthetic??? Where's a T-85 rebuild manual? look in Packard or Golden Hawk? With short tail and OD, I can't find a floor shifter NOS kit. Copied R10 OD rebuild manuals but is R11 exact same except 1 extra planet. Who's done a T-85 R11 OD w/floor shift in a 63 GT? Pictures forthcomong.

Comment

My first time using the Forum. I have a 63 champ 8E-7 with 259 and the T85/89 with T85C-1A on the case and R11 on the OD case. Looking in the truck manual it says the truck had a T90B and has no T85 info. Just wanted to confirm some of the last postings. Question is why the manual doesn't cover the T85/89 and also where to find one that does?

I have it out now for three reasons, the clutch throw-out bearing was screaming, the clutch that was installed previously was a heavy duty 10.5" that was very heavy and caused multiple clutch linkage failures, and lastly it was difficult to get into first sometimes. Now I have read that first gear is not synchronized anyways, so I am just wondering if the issue is the clutch was not fully releasing. Any thoughts on this problem? I am leaning towards not tearing apart the transmission and just replacing the clutch.

If I do rebuild or reseal, what rebuild kit or gasket kit are you using? Saw some online for T85 but not T89?

I was planning on using the standard clutch pressure plate offered by Studebaker International 800378 with disc 800371 and throw out bearing 1550534 which according to Napa is N1136 which is half the price of the one from Studebaker International.

What clutch pressure plate and disc are you using? Napa only listed one number for the pressure plate (not sure how heavy it is) and no disc. I would love to find a cheaper option than from Studebaker International that I knew was standard duty.

Lots of questions, any help is appreciated. Thanks,
                    Matt

Matthew Wendt
                    Matthew Wendt

Comment

Hi, Matthew,

Yes, the truck T89 is hell-for-stout. They usually don't need anything but flushing with diesel and filling with standard gear lube.

No, low gear was not synchronized.
                      No, the clutch wasn't releasing cleanly. The later Lark-based T-cab clutch linkage is junk and you'll always be fighting it.
                      No, the Stude manual wasn't re-written to include the truck T89. By that time, Stude had mentally long been out of business and wasn't spending any money on new manuals. Look for the '56 Studebaker or Packard manual for T85/T89 info. Even what is there is incomplete. They won't come apart the way the manual says! The good news is, as I said above, they rarely need rebuilding.

Maybe, you should look in the yellow pages for a truck clutch shop. There is usually one in any medium-sized area. The one here in Spokane can rebuild or find any diameter disc and any weight of pressure plate. The Stude V8 clutch and pressure plate is one of the most common ever built. Dozens of Ford, IH, Chevrolet, Dodge units used the same one. Not hard to find, not expensive - just find a shop or parts guy who knows clutches, tell him what you want and he should be able to match it up for you. There are also several past threads here actually giving NAPA p/n if you will do a thorough search.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                      PackardV8

Comment

Thanks for the info. Thought I would let you know that I found the transmission was in excellent shape inside. Replaced the side cover gasket, output seal, and the input flange. Turns out the input flange was excessively worn on one side making the throw out bearing stick. The shaft and levers was also excessively unevenly worn (good 1/8 inch). I have found a good used replacement. Used Fort Wayne Clutch to rebuild the clutch (standard duty) and had the flywheel resurfaced locally. I am looking forward to getting it all back together and feeling the clutch pedal.

Thanks,
                        Matt

Matthew Wendt
                        Matthew Wendt

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Matthew Wendt

/Cut/Replaced the side cover gasket, output seal, and the input flange.
                          You did what? I think all of us would love to know where you found the Overdrive tailhousing rear grease seal for a T-85/T-89, as they are available NOWHERE! [:0] [:0]

StudeRich
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Phil Harris of Fairborne has 1 left. So does Studebaker Parts or Studebaker West, I can't remember which. It is a modern seal, unlike the really complicated original. Just drive it in until it is flush with the housing, you could drive it in too far and it will not rest on the sealing surface. I also applied RTV to the outside of the seal and inside of the housing just to be safe.

Matthew Wendt
                            Matthew Wendt

Comment

I sell these N.O.S. seals for $35.00 plus $5.00 shipping.
                              Robert Kapteyn
                              studebaker@mac.com

Comment

Working...
                              X