Installing a full flow oil filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a full flow oil filter

Do you have the curved Oil Filler Pipe for the Supercharger setup? I did see one this week on ebay.

Well, if anyone needs a '57-'58 GH, Packard Hawk or '57 Clipper Oil fill pipe here it is: http://tinyurl.com/y9jzxha

I have been wanting to try that remote full flow Oil Filter trick, it looks like a great idea, if done right it should not be a problem. [^]

As far as I know only the "Inventor" has done it.

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Fairborn has a block section that they display at shows that demonstrates how to do this, but you need to go in behind the flywheel, so you pretty much have to pull the engine.

alternately, you can mount the partial flow filter pretty much anywhere simply by extending the hoses. You can use appropriately sized brake tubing if you need hard lines for portions of the run.

good luck

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I think its a job that Fairborn is offering to do (for a fee). I don't think its' something that could be one with hand held tools, drill and tap. You would want the engine free of the car and the block stripped so you could clean out any metal chips from the oiling system.

Relocating the partial flow filter certainly is an option, mount it on an inner fender if you have to.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        ....On the road, again....
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

Thanks!

I have the engine down to the bare block ready for reassembly so now would be the time to do this, if I go ahead with the plan.

In his book, the Author claims it is something you can easily do with hand tools. It seems easy enough but I would rather be safe, than sorry. So, if anyone has first hand experience doing this, I'ld still like to hear from you.

Also, a couple have suggested simply getting longer oil lines and moving the filter to the fender well. What would be the adverse affects, if any, if I did this? Seems a whole lot simpler!

Thanks again,

Scott

Comment

I think that Bob Johnstone website has a description of how it is done. Back in the day, we used to do this and run a 2qt diesel remote oil filter. Kinda overkill, but when you are dirt-tracing, you need all of the help you can get.

Comment

I used an aftermarket remote filter adapter mounted to the front crossmember on my early (1957) 259. Steel tubing down to near the fuel pump, then oil pressure hoses to the filter adapter. It seems to works fine.

Jeff Jones
              Tucson Arizona
              1947 M-5

Comment

quote:Originally posted by s2dwagon

/Cut/ What would be the adverse affects, if any, if I did this? Seems a whole lot simpler!
                The downside is obvious, you would still have only 10% of the Oil going through the filter, AFTER it's been through the complete engine including bearings!

The other way, you have ALL of the Oil going through the full flow filter, BEFORE the bearings.

The downside to those is that when plugged with dirt, sludge etc. or when cold and pressure exceeds the by-pass valve setting, the filter WILL by-pass, but that is no different than any other car since the mid 1950's to present. And it is not designed to filter out micro- particles slowly, or it would damage the bearings from lack of oil.

StudeRich
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                X