who ya gonna call code busters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who ya gonna call code busters

recently recieved my production order for my 56 skyhawk an have several questions t8434 wrd 347 what does this mean? second crash pad ? hc head ? xac 2688 ?
    p5611
    dx st whl?
    does a b after the ac # mean black and z mean chrome?
    1535976 is this the right cylinder head im not sure but according to the engine # ps-2244 i think this motor is from a 57 golden hawk ? want to restore but need more info any help would be greatly appreciated. anybody seen engine #p-34900? ok i know thats stretching it! thanks

John C.Stroud

The easy ones are hc head High Compression Head, but with an engine change that's no longer applicable. dx st whl is Deluxe Steering Wheel. Others will chime in with other information. The original engine,I believe, was six cylinder, thus one head.

[Edit] My error on the trim level, Rich. Was the Flight Hawk the only 6?
    [img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    ....On the road, again....
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

The X AC's are always the loose accessories in the trunk, Wheel covers, Radio Antenna. It's the Internal Control, disappearing cowl mount Antenna.

The letter codes depend on WHERE (what box you found them in)! They are usually Upholstery trim & Color, Paint color etc.

dx st whl is just what it says, Deluxe Steering Wheel, it and the padded dash were options on low level '56-'58 Hawks.

You have the correct low comp. Truck head for the Supercharged GH Engine you have, but too low compression for a carbureted engine, in order to have it's advertised HP.

A Sky Hawk is a President Hardtop (56H-K5) 289 car with a very high trim level, so some things like Deluxe Steering Wheel W/Horn Rim and Padded Dash SHOULD have been standard, along with Chrome windshield & rear backlight interior mouldings, Carpeting and headliner trim strips. []

That's OK Tom, lots of folks get confused with FOUR to keep track of!
      It's easy if you always remember BOTTOM-UP! >Flight Hawk 185 6, Power Hawk 259, Sky Hawk 289, Golden Hawk 352! [^] Their names even get more powerful as you go up in price & power! And of course the bottom two are just C3 Trim level Coupes, and the top two are level 7 "K" Hardtops. [^]

A '56 289 V-8 only has 7.5 to 1 Comp. and 195 HP 2 Brl./210 4 Brl. so you sure don't want an export 7.0 Head!

That is opposed to the '57 & up cars with 8.5 Comp.: 259; 180/195, 289; 210/225, compression MATTERS! []

Was this car built in Canada or shipped out of the U.S.?

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

That's a sharp car!
        P5611 is the body paint color, Midnight Black.
        T8434 WRD is the (optional) all vinyl interior in white and red.
        Not sure what the 347 signifies.

"Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

hawknose1, the description of your car fits the description of the Sky Hawk that I had in the early 80's. Mine was black with red and white interior, auto trans and power steering, pushbutton radio and wind up antenna. That's one of the cars I wish that I had kept. Bud

Comment

My 1957 Golden Hawk had/has engine number PS3000. It was a black car with red interior. It is now a white car. It has also been defined (not by me - after my ownership of it).

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

in response to studerich the car was built in southbend 3-16-56 ,has tinted glass,6.70x15 4 in whitewalls im assuming the 4 next to tire size refers to the sidewalls,climatizer,font,rear speakers,windshield,washers,clock ,style 2799 style hubcaps,back up lamps,and cigarette lighter in the car it appears stock in all aspects and was a gift from my brother.condition is good overall and runs perfectly but needs attention to the trans and suspension thanks for your assistance solving these mysteries. rich do you think i should leave well enough alone or should ijust go ahead and supercharge it again? i know these parts can real expensive right? john John C.Stroud

Comment

The Four (4) indicates 4 Ply. Tires, usually Firestone Deluxe Champion, Nylon, Bias ply of course.

It is totally up to you, what you WANT to do with the GH engine. I would convert it to a four barrel, if it is not yet.
                And if it turns out to run good with a 4 Brl. I might leave it alone for awhile, but if it later shows signs of needing a Valve job, I definitely would machine the head a reasonable amount (not a lot) and simply install '57 Comm./Pres. Head Gaskets, they are the thin shim metal type and raise the Comp. by .5 and that will definitely help.

Save all the brackets and supercharger peculiar parts if you have them for later install or sale. [^]

StudeRich
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

thanks rich for the info .the does curently have a wcfb carter 4 barrel but i havent run the numbers on it though it matches the drawings in the service manual. i think im in favor of leaving well enough alone for now and concentrate on funtionality first then cosmetics thereafter.i hope santa brings a new computer so i can post pictures soon Merry Christmas Ya'll

John C.Stroud

Comment

Working...
                  X