Lights went out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights went out

Passed inspection got plates and of course the lights went out about 3 hours later. I smelt a electric burn smell and than they went out. Dash and headlights will not work. Blinkers will. Tells me it is in the headlight controle switch. Is this an easy fix?

Perhaps a wire shorted out due to it contacting a sharp metal edge? Get under the dash and maybe you can follow the smell back to the burn spot.

Lark ala mode
    In the middle of Minnesota
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

You need to find out where and why the lights went out. If you are smelling something burning...find it before you burn the car to the ground.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

What is the year and model of your car? I don't recommend turning on the lights to try to locate a short in the wiring. There should be a circuit breaker on the headlight switch which will trip if it gets overloaded. If the car is old enough to have cloth covered wire you may need to replace the wire loom as the insulation on the headlight or tail light wiring has mostlikely deteriorated and is now shorting to something that is grounded. I have been installing a fusible link wire on the main feed wire in the wire loom of the old Stude's as the fuse wire will fail and disconnect the electrical system from the battery in the event of a major short preventing a fire or other disaster. Bud

Comment

maybe you got squirrels under the hood like me! they like chewing on wires and hoses

John C.Stroud

Comment

What Bud said, AND be sure you check the wiring and connector at the DIMMER SWITCH, and the Switch. While a bad connection (high resistance) there will not turn off the dash lights and tail lights, it WILL if it blows the circuit breaker on the head light Switch!

StudeRich
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Found problem, had a short in a wire. Will take care of it in the morning.
              quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

What Bud said, AND be sure you check the wiring and connector at the DIMMER SWITCH, and the Switch. While a bad connection (high resistance) there will not turn off the dash lights and tail lights, it WILL if it blows the circuit breaker on the head light Switch!

StudeRich

Comment

Working...
              X