long tube headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long tube headers

I have a 62 lark with a chevy v8 with d port vortech heads and stock steering set up, Dose any body know of a longe tube header to fit this applaction even fender well headers would make me happy I just do not want to be stuck with power robbing block huggers thanks.

fred

Contact Sanderson Headers. They make top quality headers for many, many cars and street rods. Maybe they can set you up. BTW - block hugger headers aren't really power robbing...they have their uses but admittedly don't make power the way tuned, long tube headers do. It depends on the application, power level of the engine and the rpm range the power is needed.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I have contacted them to no avail, block headers do decrese tourque thanks.

fred

Comment

Maybe get a header kit with flanges, bends, and collectors and build yourself a set of super-cool fender well headers. My friend did this on a 36 Plymouth with a small block Ford, and according to him it was "so easy a monkey could do it". Just a thought.

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car. In my family since 1958.
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

My 54K has a set of long headers made for a 90's Chevy 350 pickup. They required some modification but were pretty close out of the box.

Don't forget that low end torque is also quite dependent on intake runners and cam profile.

Bob

Comment

I have looked into a build youre own header kit but the challange is the kits I found through the local speed shop and jegs do not come with the correct flange for the d port heads, but the 90's pickup might be the ticket as that is the era when the head design ect. where changing, Thanks sweetolbob I will give them a try.

fred

Comment

Fred

Just for the record, I put R&P steering in mine. I neglected that on the first post. Dang "old timers" disease. They may still be able to be modified though.

FYI

Bob

Comment

Fred, how heavy is the trailer you are towing? The typical cruiser 350 Chevy has 330+ torque with iron manifolds. You are over worrying - not often is the sbc criticized for lack of torque. A sbc without long tube headers is not some stopped up wimpy engine that will leave you embarrassed for lack of hill climbing ability.

I believe that there are now repro "Rams Horn" cast iron sbc exhaust manifolds being made with the "D" port to match modern heads and a 2-1/2" collector. As a bonus the rams horn iron manifolds make spark plug changes a breeze - the same cannot be said about most sbc headers. I'm suggesting the rams horn manifolds because they exit in the center like the Stude V8.

The number of times header manufacturers get requests for '62 Lark SBC with D port Vortec heads = 0

Thomas

Comment

Thomas, I am trying to build a 12 second street car, I have bought a motor that dynoed at 386 hp and 412 ftlbs of tourque and built a nice trans to back it up I also installed a cal trax rear suspension with a 9 inch rearend, and I do not want to loose any thing to a restricted exhaust I want to scavange every bit possible if you know what I mean, I have consired a steering rack and if that is what it takes I will install one, Dose any one got any recomendations on a rack that will work with out changing to the set up in turning wheels mag as I have a brand new stock suspension that I do not want to change.

fred

Comment

Fred talk to your local speed shop about measuring a set of fender well header to see if they might fit you Lark. Who knows they may have a set to fit right in. I use a set of fender well header in my 1939 Ford that were for a Chevy application So ask

Comment

I have the same car, same heads, same suspension etc. I had to go block huggers..Tried the 2.5 rams horns no go..tried a rack set up..went back to stock and had to use the block huggers..if they restrict torque..how much do you think you would lose? a tenth of a sec? Heres a suggestion use the huggers and further beef the engine. It will be way cheaper and much less hassle, believe me..

Making resverations at the poor house parking lot for me and my 62 Lark..

Comment

I have the same car, same heads, same suspension etc. I had to go block huggers..Tried the 2.5 rams horns no go..tried a rack set up..went back to stock and had to use the block huggers..if they restrict torque..how much do you think you would lose? a tenth of a sec? Heres a suggestion use the huggers and further beef the engine. It will be way cheaper and much less hassle, believe me..

Making resverations at the poor house parking lot for me and my 62 Lark..

Comment

Prager I am beginning to feel you are right,I will loose about 8 to 10 ftlbs of tourque at this point may be big woop, But I thought I would see if anybody else had gone through this and had a better solution than what I came up with which is the same as yours the dreded block huggers.

fred

Comment

Fred. My Lark is a 61.It has a 400 CI SBC with stock heads,and a Weiand 142 supercharger,700 Holley,Hooker big tube block huggers and a full 2.5 exhaust with Hushpower mufflers.It has a 331 TT rear ,and is a 13:04 car all day.A different rear gear would have it in the 12s easy. Hooking it is another story. Our HP and torque numbers are comparable. A blower friendly cam and better heads would really wake it up,but it is fine for me the way it is.Block huggers are fine IMO, on my car.I am thinking of going to Speedway Automotive's version of Block Huggers because after 5 years,my Hookers are spotting rust thru the ceramic coating. The block huggers do put a bit of heat into the steering box due to down tube closeness that would be avoided with rams horn style manifolds.All I had to do was dimple the exhaust down pipe from the collector to avoid interference from the reach rod. Prager and I tried a couple of different headers on his.The D ports are a bit of a fly in the ointment on header selection. Some block huggers drop down farther than my Hookers we noticed. I am guessing I just got lucky on fit the first time. Stock rams horn 2 inch outlet Chevybaker manifolds had kinks in the exhaust down pipe on the drivers side to avoid the reach rod. I dimpled mine with a 1/2 extension after heating the pipe red and hitting the extension with a hammer to dimple it. I do not think I have created a big flow restriction.It is a gradual crease across the side of the pipe. There are 3/4 reach headers available for 55-57 Chevys with stock suspension,but I have no idea if they would clear the Stude floor pan and steering.The 55-57 Chevy floor pan seems to be similar in shape,but its just a SWAG on my part about fitment. Let us know what you end up doing.

Comment

Thanks for the advice I agree the vortech heads aggervate the senerio but they are what came on the engine package and if I had to do it over I would use eather edelbrock or world heads.

fred

Comment

Working...
                              X