Loose fitting distributor rotor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose fitting distributor rotor?

I am working on a 1950 2R5, Champion 169 engine. It has an Autolite Distributor. There was a new distributor rotor on the truck when I got it. It was loose fitting, the metal shim was missing out of the rotor. I purchased a Standard, AL98. It has the metal shim inside the rotor, but it is also very loose. My distributor # is IGC 4805 2D, with a vacuum advance.

I wouldn't think the Distributor Shaft would wear down enough to give me this much play.

Is there more than one distributor rotor? If so what would the part number be?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Gary

I went through the same problem in January of this year. I think I tried 3 different rotors before I found one that works. I don't recall which one I finally settled on. I also found that if I pushed it all the way down on the shaft, it will not transfer power to the plug wires. I have about a half dozen auto-lite distributors and each one has some variation in construction. In addition to the rotor, you need to make sure it matches up with the cap. sorry I don't have the numbers at my fingertips. Perhaps someone else can help. Mine was on my '48 running its original distributor in a 1953 replacement block.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Gary, why don't you put a shim behind the "flat" side of the metal insert in your new rotor. You could use small rectangles of brass shim stock. Keep adding shims until you get a tight fit. Good luck.
      Joe

Comment

Yeah just shim it

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I work at a Dealership and we do have some old brass shim stock left, so I'll give it a try. Now can you tell me how to get it to stop snowing in Maryland? We're getting 20"- 25". Have a nice Holiday!

Comment

Working...
          X