Fuel / carb problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel / carb problem

I am having a couple of problems with fuel either draining or evaporating from my carb, Stromberg 2 bbl, 259 V8. I use the car almost every day but some mornings the in line fuel filter is empty and it take a while to start. Once going there is no problem until I stop. It doesn't have to be for a long period (sometimes at a traffic light) but when you go to take off again the engine seems to have no power. If you raise the hood and move the throttle linkage all the way back it seems to fix it. Thought of vapor lock or could it be a fuel pump. Is there a possibility the carb is flooding?
    Any guesses anybody.

1962 GT Hawk
    Waterloo, Victoria
    Australia

Hi Rusty, any signs of gas leaking on the outside of the carburetor or along the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb? Is the filter completely empty or half empty? It seams that half empty is typical on my Daytona. I'm told that these fuel pumps can leak gasoline into the engine block, but you would likely need to remove it to find evidence of such. If the engine is starving for gas, it could be a weak fuel pump or perhaps you have rust or dirt in the fuel line from the tank to the pump. The steel fuel line may even be kinked where it lays next to a frame support (mine was kinked on my Hawk). I had a Wagonaire vapor lock in a parade once, it was about 90 F degrees and I had been sitting still for several minutes with the engine running when it stalled and would not restart. After sitting for half an hour, it started back up and ran fine. Maybe it would help to wrap the fuel line from the pump to the carb with insulation to avoid vapor lock? Many people add electric fuel pumps near the fuel tank to avoid vapor lock. Maybe someone else has a deffinative answer for you.

Lark ala mode
    In the middle of Minnesota
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Ya, there could be a lot of problems before the gas even gets to the fuel pump. Cracked lines, rusty lines and ya the kinks, too. Most common is cracks in the rubber line from the tank to the steel. Then the pump sucks air with the fuel, and if it isn't revving very high, it doesn't suck strong enough to overcome the leak. I had a loose clamp back there doing the same thing.

Comment

Working...
      X