heater fan motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heater fan motor

Does anyone know of a supplier for heater fan motors for 56 -57 -58 hawk types? Will other years/models work? current motor works but is noisy. bears number 5047887. hopefully some modern day car fan will fit.

They are available thru any of the Studebaker Vendors. They can be tricky to install, sometimes the fan is frozen on the shaft, but other than that, pretty straight forward. I think it is easier to put them in, than to re-engineer the unit.

Comment

Noisy motor? Run it without the fan and see if it's still noisy. An electric motor gets sloppy and doesn't run for long; if at all. Sometimes the bearing can squeal; drill a tiny hole for a drop of oil.

Comment

Used NAPA # 655-1020 motor for Defrost & blower on a 57 Silver Hawk. Fans sound good hooked to battery (still restoring Hawk). About $25.00.

Ray Stewart SDC
        51 pick-up
        57 silver hawk
        62 lark
        Ray Stewart SDC
        51 pick-up
        57 silver hawk
        62 lark

Comment

Hmmm... Do this same fan motor can use under right front fender near vent door in my '57 Silver Hawk? I knew there are two heater fan motors but I am not sure if both are same type of motors.

Steven

Comment

Ray Stewart, is this NAPA motor a 12V motor? When you say blower motor are you talking about the heater blower as in Climatizer motor? Just wondering as I have just finished sandblasting and painting my 54 Climatizer housing and am looking for a CASO 12V motor. Fantastic if this NAPA one works as I can avoid going through the shipping/customs hassle. BTW, I painted my bracket with a hammer-tone black, really worked to hide the deep rust pits that were in the mounting bracket. Thanks, Junior.

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car. In my family since 1958.
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I used the same NAPA motor for the defrost as well as the under fender blower for the heater core under the seat. Fits like it was made for it. 12 volt. If the motor turns backwards just switch the ground and hot to reverse rotation. I have not used the motors in the car as yet (hope to get there in a few months) however assembled in the blower housing (so there is load) they do not run hot and seem to perform well.

Ray Stewart SDC
              51 pick-up
              57 silver hawk
              62 lark
              Ray Stewart SDC
              51 pick-up
              57 silver hawk
              62 lark

Comment

I hate it when Obama says "let me make it perfectly clear" but....I used two of the same Napa 655-1020 motors. One for the defrost and another for the under fender assembly. 2 motors...1 vehicle. I reread my prior reply and thought it may need be clear.

Ray Stewart SDC
                51 pick-up
                57 silver hawk
                62 lark
                Ray Stewart SDC
                51 pick-up
                57 silver hawk
                62 lark

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the info, should save me some time and $$$. Junior.

sigpic
                  1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Ray, FYI: we have amazing "Poster's License" on this forum! Within the rules of course (posted at the top of the page on "stickies".

You can revise your post (when logged in at the top of the page only) by using the Icon that looks like a yellow pencil on a page.

You can delete your post with the trash can Icon.

You can delete your new topic, but only BEFORE anyone replies to it.

You can type a new "reply" to the general topic OR reply to a certain post on that topic with a Quote you can even put their quote first or your reply first.
                    quote:Originally posted by Ray Stewart

I hate it when Obama says "let me make it perfectly clear" but....I used two of the same Napa 655-1020 motors. One for the defrost and another for the under fender assembly. 2 motors...1 vehicle. I reread my prior reply and thought it may need be clear.
                    Ray Stewart SDC
                    After revising (editing), you can review & check the post by clicking the "Preview" button, before posting the edit.

You can start your own new Topic (thread).

Add "smilies" [], change text size, add color, post pictures! [^]

Enjoy, we are here to help, and have fun!

StudeRich
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Just installed NAPA 655 1020, $31, perfect fit for heater fan, thanks for info.

Comment

Help...I just called my local NAPA warehouse to see if they had the heater blower motor 6551020 in stock and they said that was an American part number, and there is no way they can cross-reference it to a Canadian part number.(go figure) What I need to know is what year, make, and model of car 6551020 fits, and I can't figure out how to get the NAPAwebsite to do this. Can someone help? Thanks, Junior.

sigpic
                        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

try www.napaonline.com they allow a parts number search, use BK 6551020. If that does not work try 655 1020. Many parts dealers can't find much of anything unless they look it up by vehicle and when you tell them Studebaker, some hang up, cry or laugh.

Comment

Got to NAPA and they wanted over $78 cdn for this heater motor...went to another supplier and got another motor that should work for a lot less $. Just need to check motor clearance with front fender, will update when I know for sure so other Canadian members can benefit. Junior.

sigpic
                            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Okay, checked fit of the heater(climatizer) motor in the car and it has no problems fitting, so for anyone in Canada, if you want a cheaper solution than the NAPA motor #655-1020 which is $78CDN, I found that Siemens PM325 will work. This motor is 12V, universal rotation. I picked it up at Gregg's Ditributors for $50.35 CDN. There were also some other suppliers names and #'s on the box, so you may want to look for EVERCO M870, FOUR SEASONS 35420, or SIGNAL 840-073. Stay warm, Junior.

sigpic
                              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
                              X