1950 COMMANDER ENGINE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 COMMANDER ENGINE

Hi to all...a question:...the fuel pump shield..part #103-20.. has two bolts that hold it to the block. These bolts tend to leak a little oil out of them...there is no gromet of any kind on them so ...what is the best way to stop these little leaks from these two bolts ?..........thanks,John

Do these bolts go through the tappet covers? If so they're was originally copper crush washers that sealed them. The gasket sets being sold today have a fiber crushwasher that is installed under the head of the bolt. I'd try a snug fitting o-ring or sealing washer like described above.

quote:Originally posted by zoegrant

Hi to all...a question:...the fuel pump shield..part #103-20.. has two bolts that hold it to the block. These bolts tend to leak a little oil out of them...there is no gromet of any kind on them so ...what is the best way to stop these little leaks from these two bolts ?..........thanks,John

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

That the nature of the beast. I have 2 245 engines setting here. Those bolts do not touch the tappet cover. I would use silicon, or rubber o-ring or copper o-rings washers. What ever works.

Comment

But wait, isn't that oil to keep the fuel pump shield from rusting?

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        ....On the road, again....
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

On close inspection of the bolts I do see the copper crush washers...and crushed they are...I am leaning toward the rubber washers...I will see what NAPA has...thanks to all...John

Comment

Working...
          X