Saganaw 4spd/o.d.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saganaw 4spd/o.d.

I have a 61 Hawk with t-86/o.d. I want to install a G.M. Saganaw 4 spd w/a B.W. o.d. I need some info. What is the length of the Stude. T=10 compaired to the T-86? Is the output end of the Stude T=10 the same as the G.M. T=10 (splines and I.D.)? Also, which 4-spd (wide ratio or close ratio would work out best in my Hawk (I have both)? Thanks for any info. J.R. Lemke

Are you going to machine $$$$ [:0] your own custom Input shaft for the GM/Chevy. Saginaw Trans. to fit a Stude. Engine? [:0]

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

No, just use extended pilot bearing. Input is the same as T-10 and Muncie.

Comment

Well, the front bearing retainer collar the throwout bearing rides on is also a different diameter, so a Chev throwout bearing would have to be adapted or a Stude collar swapped on.

It also should be mentioned, the Chev input shaft is shorter than the Stude. It is not best science to use an adapter plate on a standard bell housing, as an extended pilot bearing is already necessary to reach the shorter Chev input shaft. Thus, the rare '61-early '62 4-speed bell housing would be needed to match the Chev transmission bolt pattern.

Bottom line, the Saginaw requires as much work as a T5 conversion and doesn't shift nearly as well.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

I'm going to use the Sag. I've been using it for 20 years in my Buick powered 52 Chev with no trouble. I need the length of the Stude T-10 from end of tail shaft to mounting face of trans. and also if I can use Stude slip yoke on G.M. tail. From my experience, I don't think the T-5 shifts any smoother or more positive than the Sag. with a Hurst Comp.Plus.

Comment

Working...
          X