289 Oil Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 289 Oil Pressure

I rebuilt this engine. It was a parts car engine so I went completely through it. Bored 20 over - one crank journal 30 junder. New pistons and bearings. Cam checked OK os it was left alone. The engine pegged the oil pressure gauge, so I substituted one out of the parts car - same thing. Is this something I should worry with or what could cause this proble. (FYI - engine has about 200 miles on it)

Thanks, all help appreciated.

What weight oil are you running, what's the temperature of the oil when cold, what is the condition of the Pressure Relief Valve? I had the same problem, pin the gage on start up, found a 5/8 spacer behind the spring on the Relief Valve.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    ....On the road, again....
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Did you service the pressure relief valve?
      What was the end play on the crank?
      What was the end play on the rods?
      What was the clearance on the cam bearings?
      New cam bearings?
      (Most of these items would cause [u]low</u> oil pressure, except for the pressure relief valve...)
      High oil pressure puts an awful strain on the fibre cam gear, and the distributor gear pin.
      HTIH
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by MARSHALLR

I rebuilt this engine. It was a parts car engine so I went completely through it. Bored 20 over - one crank journal 30 junder. New pistons and bearings. Cam checked OK os it was left alone. The engine pegged the oil pressure gauge, so I substituted one out of the parts car - same thing. Is this something I should worry with or what could cause this proble. (FYI - engine has about 200 miles on it)

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by MARSHALLR

Comment

I set all the clearances as per the shop manuel.The cam bearings were replaced.I ordered a relief valve kit this morning from SI.I'll get back (hopefully with it fixed) once I get the kit installed. THANKS!

Comment

One additional possibility...were you certain get the oil holes in the cam bearings are aligned properly? Depending on where in the system the pressure is monitored, if it is prior to the cam bearings and they are miss aligned, could it result in high pressure readings and possible starving of oil to any bearing downstream from the misaligned bearing? (a terrifying thought) I am not sure this is possible. I have done complete rebuilds myself, but not frequent enough to remember all the procedures. That is why when I do...an open manual is nearby along with a chair to sit in while thinking through my next step.

John Clary
            Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
            SDC member since 1975
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jclary

One additional possibility...were you certain get the oil holes in the cam bearings are aligned properly? Depending on where in the system the pressure is monitored, if it is prior to the cam bearings and they are miss aligned, could it result in high pressure readings and possible starving of oil to any bearing downstream from the misaligned bearing? (a terrifying thought) I am not sure this is possible. I have done complete rebuilds myself, but not frequent enough to remember all the procedures. That is why when I do...an open manual is nearby along with a chair to sit in while thinking through my next step.

John Clary
              Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
              SDC member since 1975
              John,
              I do worry that it something that I did wrong even though I kept the manual right beside me. I wish that I had a clear picture of the oil galley. I hope that the pressure relief kit fixes it; but, I have a bad feeling.

Thanks

Comment

Did you run this engine prior to disassembly? And if so,
                what was the oil pressure?

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Tex,This is a parts car engine.After I got into it,I foond it had spun either #1 or #2 rod bearing (I cant remember which),so I didn't run it.

Comment

What about a gauge that is known to be accurate??
                    No way would I want to tear apart an engine only to
                    find out it wasn't neccessary.

Comment

I got my relief valve kit from SI and a new oil pressure guage.With the new parts installed I'm running 75 lbs.cold and 55 lbs.warm.All help was appreciated!THANKS MarshallR.

Comment

Another example of 'don't tear it down until you've exhausted all other possibilities.'

Glad you got it worked out. That's the pressure my '63 289 with unknown mileage is running.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                        Tom Bredehoft
                        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                        ....On the road, again....
                        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                        All Indiana built cars

Comment

Working...
                        X