Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

trans swap 50 to 55 6 cyl to v8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trans swap 50 to 55 6 cyl to v8

Have an extra 3 spd/od from a 50 6 cyl, will it fit behind a 55 232 v8 with the same 3 spd/od ? Looking at JDP's 55 on the net again.

36 dictator
    48 starlite
    50 starlite
    48 starlite Commander

32 Austin 7

Before going any further, make sure they really are the same transmissions.

Don't know about the exact fit between the cars you mention, but just generally speaking, remember that Studebaker passenger cars used 3 different 3 speed transmissions (trucks NOT included) from 1939 forward. Visually, think small, bigger, and biggest.

Whether short tailshaft or long, OD or not, all are Borg Warner. They are:

T-96 with Champion 6's
    T-86 with Commander 6's, and many V-8's
    T-85 with hot V-8's; 289 Golden Hawks and such. (I seem to remember that in Avantis, if a 4 spd or automatic were not specified, a non-OD T-85 was what you got. Wonder if they actually made any that way?)

Anyway, if your 6 is a champ, that transmission will not bolt up to a V-8 bell housing, or survive for very long even if it did.

Comment

As Skyway said, if we're talking Champion tranny - no, it won't work. If we're talking Commander 6 tranny, it should bolt up to the 232's bellhousing.

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
      X